Custom genres? (1 Viewer)

nlucier

Portal Member
June 8, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I just last night discovered the plug-in and am just picturing everything I can do with it.

Can the scraper be used to change other fields (either adding or replacing)...for example, Genres? The field name in the SQLite file is 'genres' but I'm not having any luck so far with causing a change when adding it to my Custom file. That would be great for being able to do filters for my kids movies.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Re: IMDb+ Scraper (Fix English, Rename+Group, RottenTomatoes, and more) v3.2.4

I just last night discovered the plug-in and am just picturing everything I can do with it.

Can the scraper be used to change other fields (either adding or replacing)...for example, Genres? The field name in the SQLite file is 'genres' but I'm not having any luck so far with causing a change when adding it to my Custom file. That would be great for being able to do filters for my kids movies.

So you come across movies that lack a proper genre entry at imdb.com?

The genres and certification fields are already obtained and can be used to make very powerful filters for your kid movies already. Easiest way would be to simply enable parental controls and use the "Define Unrestricted Movies" to be: Certification equals "G". Or change the method to 'any' and add a 2nd entry for "PG" if your kids are older, possbily a 3rd, etc. You can also go reverse and change method to 'none' for Certification equals "X", or stay on 'any' and use Certification does not equal "X".

You can then combine this with category/filters on custom genres, or use the dynamic one.

nlucier

Portal Member
    June 8, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

So you come across movies that lack a proper genre entry at imdb.com?

The genres and certification fields are already obtained and can be used to make very powerful filters for your kid movies already. Easiest way would be to simply enable parental controls and use the "Define Unrestricted Movies" to be: Certification equals "G". Or change the method to 'any' and add a 2nd entry for "PG" if your kids are older, possbily a 3rd, etc. You can also go reverse and change method to 'none' for Certification equals "X", or stay on 'any' and use Certification does not equal "X".

You can then combine this with category/filters on custom genres, or use the dynamic one.

More specifically being able to add to the Genre listing something such as "NameA" (3 1/2 years old) & "NameB" (7 1/2 year old) so that I can then use the built in filtering to make Genre lists titled "NameA" & "NameB" in Moving Pictures. That's currently how I do the sorting so that I don't have to page through 1500+ movies on the TV screen (or more correctly my wife doesn't have to). Sorting into G ratings doesn't really accomplish that when there are still 50+ pages of results and a 3 1/2 year old REALLY wants his show on. I hand add these into the listing in the Movie Manager right now but lose them in a database flush and thought I might be able to leverage this scraper to reapply automagically.

I am just starting with this scraper and don't really have the nuances down regarding getting the movies actually scraped using it without flushing my entire database. We don't care about watched records so redoing the database is fine with us. Doing the Refresh using the first post of this thread didn't accomplish what I thought it should and it doesn't look like the importation is working well anyway at this point. A movie that is not recognized fully in one pass is happily recognized in the next or 3rd or 4th down the line with no changes other than clicking Restart Importer. It's also just plain stopping processing while doing the "Retrieving possible matches" step and also while downloading the art files. Clicking Restart Importer will kick it off for a bit and then it'll freeze again later (while consuming over 1.2GB of RAM)..wash/rinse/repeat until fully imported...this doesn't happen when tmdb is #1 in my scraper order.

I'm currently running Media Portal 1.1.3 but will probably put 1.2 on today to see if that changes anything. My old scraper order was tmdb first, then imdb. Now it's imdb+, tmdb, imdb. All files are named exactly what tmdb shows, [movie name] (year), using copy/paste and all are 100% imported when I switch back to the old scraper order.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

More specifically being able to add to the Genre listing something such as "NameA" (3 1/2 years old) & "NameB" (7 1/2 year old) so that I can then use the built in filtering to make Genre lists titled "NameA" & "NameB" in Moving Pictures. That's currently how I do the sorting so that I don't have to page through 1500+ movies on the TV screen (or more correctly my wife doesn't have to). Sorting into G ratings doesn't really accomplish that when there are still 50+ pages of results and a 3 1/2 year old REALLY wants his show on. I hand add these into the listing in the Movie Manager right now but lose them in a database flush and thought I might be able to leverage this scraper to reapply automagically.

It would be much easier for you to place those movies in their own folder, "D:\Movies\NameA\..." and then use a filter on the Full path to see if it includes "NameA\". MovingPictures is able to retain all the information and just update the path if you move files within the defined import paths.

I am just starting with this scraper and don't really have the nuances down regarding getting the movies actually scraped using it without flushing my entire database. We don't care about watched records so redoing the database is fine with us. Doing the Refresh using the first post of this thread didn't accomplish what I thought it should and it doesn't look like the importation is working well anyway at this point. A movie that is not recognized fully in one pass is happily recognized in the next or 3rd or 4th down the line with no changes other than clicking Restart Importer. It's also just plain stopping processing while doing the "Retrieving possible matches" step and also while downloading the art files. Clicking Restart Importer will kick it off for a bit and then it'll freeze again later (while consuming over 1.2GB of RAM)..wash/rinse/repeat until fully imported...this doesn't happen when tmdb is #1 in my scraper order.

When you import a movie, the scraper used is forever tied to that movie based on the scraper ID. The only way to link it to a new scraper ID is to sent it back to the importer. However another 'hack' you can do is to edit the IMDb+ Scraper ID to be the same as the scraper you originally used. This is why the imdb.com default scraper ID is referenced in the file, so that it is easy to copy and paste and adjust the scraper. But you need to do this before you import. If you have already imported it, then you need to switch to scraper-debug mode, or adjust the version+date. What I do myself is adjust version to v3.2.41, adjust the date and change the name to "imdb.com (IMDb+)".

A full redo of your database is another option and you can use Follw.it and Trakt integration to retain the watched flags, if you sync first before you start over and then sync again afterwards. But you do loose the date-added info then (which is why I'm still prosponing it myself until I figured out a solution for that).

I'm currently running Media Portal 1.1.3 but will probably put 1.2 on today to see if that changes anything. My old scraper order was tmdb first, then imdb. Now it's imdb+, tmdb, imdb. All files are named exactly what tmdb shows, [movie name] (year), using copy/paste and all are 100% imported when I switch back to the old scraper order.

I've achieved 100% import rates with many test collections, but imdb.com database is way more populated them the tmdb one, so it is much easier for the scraper to get confused over multiple matches. The popularity ranking usually solves that, but there will always be rare situations on a large collection.

The only way I can help on that is if I know what filenames are failing, so I can reproduce for myself and improve the scraper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom