[Bug] Custom keymap settings are lost after MP update (1 Viewer)

micko

Portal Pro
May 27, 2006
Home Country
Finland Finland
Description
The keymap.xml is overwritten with default file after installing MP update. It has always been like this / not related specially on 1.9.0 or any version.

Some dev's thoughts:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...elease-ready-for-testing.127183/#post-1095883

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Change some key assignment in Configuration->General->Keys and Sounds
2. Update MP using installer update option
3. Check the setting(s) you changed. It has default value again.

Last edited by a moderator:

micko

Portal Pro
May 27, 2006
Home Country
Finland Finland
added a comment - 10 hours ago
If we restore the keymap.xml then we can not update on official changes.

HomeY added a comment - 10 hours ago
Very good point regeszter, hadn't thought about that.
jeditor_ck_provider.jsp

Then i think we should leave it as is, since we already fixed the backup of the file in MP1-2691. The majority of the users probably never edit this file.
Yes I agree this is a very minor thing here and I shouldn't report it as a bug. Some may still think you can't kill user settings when updating MP if it isn't absolutely necessary.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes I agree this is a very minor thing here and I shouldn't report it as a bug.
    It may be minor, but enough minor annoyances are enough to make people switch to different software. ;)
    In general, to not preserve user settings is a very bad bug. So please continue to report even the small things. :)

Some may still think you can't kill user settings when updating MP if it isn't absolutely necessary.
    Yep, 100% agree with this.

@regeszter
    If we restore the keymap.xml then we can not update on official changes.

Why not?

There is surely a solution to this that enables both official updates and customisations to be preserved. For example:
    • store the customisations in a separate file which is copied during upgrade
    • run a script during upgrade to take customisations from the old file to the new file
    • move the official definitions into code and have the file only contain customisations (the file becomes an "override") - then the file can just be copied during upgrade
    mm

mrj

Portal Pro
    January 27, 2012
    There is surely a solution to this that enables both official updates and customisations to be preserved. For example:
    store the customisations in a separate file which is copied during upgrade
    run a script during upgrade to take customisations from the old file to the new file
    move the official definitions into code and have the file only contain customisations (the file becomes an "override") - then the file can just be copied during upgrade

This is the technique used for customized (user defined) language files in MediaPortal.

/mrj

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom