CVS Bug reporting ideas... (1 Viewer)

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Hi all,

I know the general desire from the mods and devs is that all CVS bug reports are directed to IRC but I wanted to run this idea past everyone.

Would it be possible to create a new forum in the development section for CVS bugs? this way users can discuss amongst themselves which CVS's work best for them and there will be a permanent record of progress.

I have been to IRC a couple of times, but each occasion all I found was a ghost town. I guess this was because of the time difference from living in the land down under.

If all forum users decided to actually post their issues/questions in the IRC channel as instructed, wouldn't it get filled with useless chatter and stop the devs from doing their excellent work?

also, what is to stop the situation of a new person popping in every few hours asking for an update on DTV or similar? At least if there was an official place to post then these questions would remain for all to see. This would also be a great way for users to give feedback amongst themselves as to which CVS's seem the best in terms of gerneral stability. This already seems to be the case, with CVS reports scattered over the Bugs, Gerenal Support and any other boards so maybe it would be good to give in and make an official place for them. If necessary, make a sticky that declares that any bug reports will not be actioned by devs and are just for general information?

Basically I am suggesting a way for the more advanced users to help each other and free up the devs to do what they do best (and what we can't do).

Hope this all makes sense,
    Marcus.

mama

Portal Pro
    May 31, 2004
    Germany
    No, but I think they work on MP while we´re trying to contct them on IRC. If I´ld work on MP, I´ld also not be on IRC the same time.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    creating a forum for cvs bug reports is not the problem. i could do that on the Test Group Forum (www.elite-squad.net)

the problems are:
    x we have 4 cvs snapshots daily. this means a problem with the cvs snapshot from 01:00 could be solved a few hours laster with the next snapshot

x the next problem is that one problem has to be confirmed by other users to call it a bug. thats a problem we allready have at the Test Group forum. many users who have a problem with mediaportal and see that someone has allready started a topic about that dont reply and confirm this problem. but that is exactly what we need. confirmations

x another problem is that a few users who start a topic and no one replies withing a few ours are getting rude. everyone can be sure that their posts will be readed by and moderator or developer. even if they dont reply.

CSV snapshots are there to test features that are under developement but i dont that a bugreport forum for CVS versions would work.

We allready have 2 bug report forums:
    x one for the official releases
    x one for the Release Candidate versions at www.elite-squad.net

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Avalon, I think you missed the point of my post.
    It wasn't actually to report bugs to the devs (I guess my title was a litle misleading) but for the more advanced users to discuss CVS things among themselves.

I know that CVS's are work in progress and not guaranteed to work. This is why it would be good for a place like I suggested so a user could report issues he has founf with a certain CVS to save all those others from downloading it and testing it too.

At the moment the CVS is a bit of a gamble and every one is trialling things for themselves. I think it would be great to have a place where users could post things like "TimeShift stopped working with DTV in CVS xx:xx" so that others don't have to find this out for themselvs.

I can't use MP .0.1.2 due to the memory leak issues and I can't use MP .0.1.3 due to the constant crashing. There are many others there with the same issues. We *have* to use CVS to be able to use MP and it would be good if there was a place we could check to see which was the CVS that users have had the most luck with.

And, most importantly, as I said in my first post:

If necessary, make a sticky that declares that any bug reports will not be actioned by devs and are just for general information?

I love the idea of your forum, maybe that is a good place for something like this? That way MP noobs won't get the wrong idea about what this issue is for and won't demand answers every few hours as can happen here.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Marcusb said:
    At the moment the CVS is a bit of a gamble and every one is trialling things for themselves. I think it would be great to have a place where users could post things like "TimeShift stopped working with DTV in CVS xx:xx" so that others don't have to find this out for themselvs.
    but what if its working again with a cvs snapshot 2 days later? who would post this information? someone would have to edit this topic.

Marcusb said:
    We *have* to use CVS to be able to use MP and it would be good if there was a place we could check to see which was the CVS that users have had the most luck with.
    instead of discussing cvs snapshots, it would be great to have a way to show the users what combinations of hardware, drivers, and mediaportal software is stable.

i.e. Setup for DVB-S FreeTV

Media Portal Version: 0.1.3 with CVS from XX.XX.XX.XX
    install this bugfixes too
    TV Card: Skystar 2 with drivers from
    Graficcard: NVidia with forceware XX.XX
    Remote: MediaCenter2005 Remote

i.e. Setup for DVB-S FreeTV and PayTV

Media Portal Version: 0.1.3 with CVS from XX.XX.XX.XX
    install this bugfixes too
    TV Card: XXXX
    Graficcard: NVidia with forceware XX.XX
    Remote: MediaCenter2005 Remote