Danish Support (1 Viewer)

shummi

Portal Pro
February 24, 2010
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi RoChess

Thanks for a great plug-in.

Everything is working fine except for danish language.
in the dokumentation you explain as follow:
"Special filter to include other language titles besides English (en). Use the imdb.com HTML source to find the ISO 639-1 code after /language/."

I try to obtain danish title and danish summery, but i havent got any luck.
If i look at IMDb for tt0426955
Barbie: Prinsessen og Tiggerpigen (Video 2004)
Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper (original title)

It shows the danish title, but not in IMDb+
If i use Score.dk, it is danish, but it dosn't find half the titles.
Do you know where to look?

Would you like a danish UI translation for IMDb+?

BR Shummi

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi RoChess

Thanks for a great plug-in.

Everything is working fine except for danish language.
    in the dokumentation you explain as follow:
    "Special filter to include other language titles besides English (en). Use the imdb.com HTML source to find the ISO 639-1 code after /language/."

I try to obtain danish title and danish summery, but i havent got any luck.
    If i look at IMDb for tt0426955
    Barbie: Prinsessen og Tiggerpigen (Video 2004)
    Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper (original title)

It shows the danish title, but not in IMDb+
    If i use Score.dk, it is danish, but it dosn't find half the titles.
    Do you know where to look?

Would you like a danish UI translation for IMDb+?

BR Shummi
    +1

shummi

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2010
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi
    I have attached the danish translation.

I have difficulty trying to understand the first setting in MP UI
    "Use the original title from the movie"
    is this setting depending of the setting in "SecondaryLanguage"??
    If yes then the explanation "Off = Always force English title" should be different.

Would it be possible to add Danish??

Attachments

• da.xml
      19.7 KB

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    For a US user the "Use the original title from the movie" means that the "(original title)" is used. This would help on foreign movies, such as Zwartboek (Dutch) that has Blackbook (English) title, and some users might prefer to see that movie in their collection as "Zwartboek". Then there is also the other option below it to combine this original title with the English title. So you can add the movie as "Zwartboek (Blackbook)" or "Blackbook (Zwartboek)" where you can use the 3rd option to put original title first.

Confusion sets in for a foreign user, because then 'original title' can mean the English title when a localized language title is available, however IMDb+ is set to always go after the English title to begin with so in that aspect "(original title)" has a different meaning.

Since part of the detection is done via regular expressions, I offer some of those settings up for adjustment via those advanced settings on language/country. So to fool the IMDb+ scraper into thinking Danish (da) language is also valid, combined with production country Denmark (dk) the expression can be modified.

That way a Danish user can have English titles on all his Hollywood movies, but then http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1340107/ would get the Danish title 'Hævnen' without using the 'Original title' option, because that Danish user most likely does not want his French/Dutch/German/Asian movies to also use the original title.

It is just very hard to explain the dozens of combinations that are possible, because each new option that was added sometimes has an effect on existing ones and I've not always been clear on explaining that. I really need to rewrite the English explanation for English users, let alone the impact on foreign users.

Also on my list has been to add proper Danish support via scope.dk, the problem is that scope.dk does not offer any IMDb tt-ID lookup method. So unlike the Dutch moviemeter.nl support I was able to add, it will require a conversion system that I have to build that will attack the entire scope.dk website and look for IMDb trailer links to build up a database of "IMDb tt-ID <-> Scope.dk ID" links, so that I can do a proxy lookup the same way I made for Dutch site.

It's just a massive undertaking and I could really use some help from a (Danish) PHP programmer, because I just don't have much time for it myself lately. It will eventually get done, but any extra help will make it go a lot faster. A shortcut however would be if instead of scraping the scope.dk website with a PHP cURL script, is if a Danish MovingPictures users has like a massive collection imported via Scope.dk and has the IMDb tt-IDs available as well so that they can provide me with a file filled with lines in the format such as IMDb=Scope, ie: tt1340107=6475. It will be very easy for me to then add scope.dk support to IMDb+ as there is no need to build a complex scraping system for scope.dk website to get this info.

PS: Thank you for the DA language file. I will get that commited to SVN later and it will be included in next version (and of course any Danish user can already manually copy your file to the right location). If my above explanation makes you want to rewrite some of the Danish translation (since the viewpoint is different), just attach a new version to this thread.

Last edited:

shummi

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2010
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi RoChess
    Thanks for your detailed explanation.
    I know i is complex.
    1. Do you know why tt0426955 is presented in danish on IMDb, and not by the IMDb+ scraper,
    is it something my browser send to IMDb, so it knows i am from denmark?
    and coundnt this be done in the scraper?
    I really don't get it.. :-(
    2. What exactly is the SecondLanguage setting doing?
    /Shummi

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    1. IMDb in their stoopidity decided to give each user around the world a different website depending on their browsers language setting. You obviously have da/dk setup in your OS/browser, which IMDb detects. It then looks at the AKA titles and if a da/dk title is present it shows that to you. However to me in the US it shows a different time, and a different one to a German user, etc. Also the only way to properly search on IMDb I'm actually forced to use http://akas.imdb.com/ during search-node, which then all of a sudden gives different results on titles as well. The only way to fix this is to login on the IMDb website and then in your user settings you can define what language you want. This is however not something I can do at scraper-script level.

http://akas.imdb.com/title/tt0426955/
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0426955/

AKA = http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0426955/releaseinfo#akas (where you can indeed see the Danish entry that is used for you due to da/dk settings)

The whole reason for IMDb+ in the beginning was to force English titles. So I use a complex system of regular expressions to find that English title and use it. However it quickly become a scraper-script not just for me, but for many others, so I did not mind adding in options to make other users happy. One user wanted this, another that and before you know it we're at the frankenstein monster sorta speak that it is today :)

Since IMDb.com website sprung up clones in localized languages, such as imdb.de (German), imdb.it (Italy) and many others, it was easy for me to include direct title support for those. I first lookup title at akas.imdb.com and once I located the IMDb tt-ID then I grab the Secondary Language details from the imdb.de website and combine those with the imdb.com info I already obtained.

2. That's what the seconday language does, and I planned to use scope.dk for that for Danish users, but that's the problem. I only have the IMDb tt-ID at my disposal and I need a direct link to the scrope.dk ID system then.

For 'Avatar' for example I can use:

Search = http://akas.imdb.com/find?s=tt&q=Avatar (this eventually allows me to get 'tt0499549')​
    So I can get English: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549
    Then the SecondaryLanguage details can become:

Dutch: http://blixy.net/mp/moviemeter/proxy.php?imdb=tt0499549 (IMDb tt-ID proxy lookup via one of my servers)​
    Additional Ratings via RottenTomatoes: http://rottentomatoes.com/alias?type=imdbid&s=0499549 (the other ratings are obtained from IMDb)​

Hopefully that explains the technical side more. I build the darn thing, and even I feel confused sometimes due to all the options and conditions :)

I could indeed use the Danish title infromation available at IMDb website as secondary language as well, the problem is that IMDb does not have a good trackrecord on that information. It is also very hard for me to reliably test that due to me being in the US. But I'll mess around again soon to see if there are header manipulations I can do or setup proxy's to pretend to be located in Denmark.

Just a little difficult managing life, work and all the other things currently. Not an excuse, just life and I'm trying to arrange some time again to delve deep into IMDb+ to expand it, so stay tuned.

shummi

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2010
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi RoChess
    Thanks for the deep explanation, i hope others can use it as well.

I think my 1. translation cover this as explained by you

/shummi

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    It's been a while since I created the mass complex regular expression setup to 'detect' the English title, but there is a trick you can do to like disable that whole system. In short IMDb+ will then become like the imdb.com default scraper (with all the other benefits still in play) and get you the Danish title the way imdb.com gives it. It is just for the life of me I can not remember right now what it was.

It might be that it was as simple as adjusting the advanced language filter to not contain 'en' anymore, or it was that in combination with some other settings. I guess you can play with it yourself, because any changes are instantly visible when you refresh a movie inside MovPic (as long as you look at the movie in detail view, as MovPic does not update the list itself until you restart MePo).

But I'll try to get to it soon myself and have a look again at the entire system and perhaps figure out a different approach.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I have attached the danish translation.

Heya shummi, now that Transifex support has been added I noticed that Danish was at 6%, and I knew that was wrong. Well turned out I had messed up and never commited the da.xml file you made to SVN (sitting pretty on my development box). The Danish MediaPortal translation team can probably use you (and it will benefit you as well).

So if you can sign up and copy and paste the translation bits from da.xml to Transifex, then in the next release it will be available for everybody.

Sorry about the extra work, as you did it already and had I paid better attention it would already have been done, but I'm hoping you are motivated enough to still do it and help MediaPortal stay at 100% for Danish language on all supported plugins.

shummi

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2010
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi RoChess

At the moment I am struggling with my MP, as I am using MDAPI that's not supported by the forum, and I don't have IMDB+ installed, when I get it up running,I will look at this, but in the summertime I don't spend much time on TV :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom