Database nightmare... Yesterday was the longest day ever (1 Viewer)

longest_day_ever

August 17, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Okay, I've installed/uninstalled MediaPortal, Mysql 5.6, Microsoft SQL 2005 (as an alternative) at least 20 TIMES yesterday. I kept getting the error that hostname didn't exist.

I read something online about only using the One Click option but first uninstalling Mysql and the subsequent folders (found via computer search) and either running MediaPortal again or reinstalling Mysql. I did both many times. Still the SAME error.

So, at this point I don't want to be bothered with One click. I want to run Mysql 5.6 and set up the hostname etc according to MediaPortal specifications if at all heavenly possible.

Ok, so could someone give a newb step by step instructions for setting up for Mysql 5.6. for mediaportal so that when I run that test I'll pass and get MP up and running?

Step by Step from scratch., for example: #1. Use the Mysql installer #2. When asked what folder to use - chose x and name it xyz.

I've installed numerous programs... side hacked my Fire TV ... built a computer from scratch; NOTHING has been as frustrating as this.

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello and welcome,

You just posted the same text in another part of the forum. This is not going to increase the chances of getting a reply.

Regarding your problem, sadly you did not provide any log from the install, which is making it virtually impossible to advise on what to do. For sure there is no point in going through repetive install cycles. So now I would suggest that you first create a clean starting point and delete all installed software:

MediaPortal
    MySQL
    SQLExpress
    Folders in ProgramData
    Folders in Programs (x64 and x86)
    Cleanup of Registry to remove all content relating to these three programs

Then reboot and launch the standard MP installer. In the unlikely case that you still experience problems, do not uninstall o delete but post the logs that MediaPortal will have created in the log path - check ProgramData/Team MediaPortal.

Regards,
    HTPCSourcer

longest_day_ever

August 17, 2015
    Home Country
    I know I reposted it. I thought the second post in the MP#1 troubleshooting area was the most accurate place to post it. Of course I installed/uninstalled/reinstalled all associated programs several times ... thought that was stated or had at least been implied. It should NOT be this difficult to set up anything in 2015. There's some glitch/bug that'll hopefully be fixed because using One Click shouldn't be the ONLY alternative.

I just wanted direct setup instructions for mysql 5.6? Is that possible?

Also, if I state I'm a newbie and need instructions why would you state that I should've included logs? How would I know that? I'm writing a review of my experience with the software online. Hopefully someone who understands that I'm a newbie and reads my first post can help.

Last edited:

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    First of, HTPCSourcer belongs to the MePo team, he IS somebody to talk to.
    Second, as in every forum around the net there are stickies which are supposed to be read, FIRST.
    We were all newbies, at some point.
    Statements like
    It should NOT be this difficult to set up anything in 2015
    are not really helpfull because nobody here is being paid to give anybody support. There might be a reason why the installation program opens the wiki pages automatically right after the setup.

Last edited:

longest_day_ever

August 17, 2015
    Home Country
    He began by complaining about me reposting and taunted that it wouldn't get me an answer . Not a good PR move.

His response that I do things I already (install/reinstall) STATED I did in the message he responded to. Not a good look, at least READ my post before responding.

The tone of his response was not positive and I responded in kind.

Now, while I do appreciate that this is free software... if I can't use it how grateful can I be? I'd love to be able to install it and say, "Thanks for this wonderful software" to someone.

Now, I'm going to just search the wiki because obviously this forum isn't for me.

First of, HTPCSourcer belongs to the MePo team, he IS somebody to talk to.
    Second, as in every forum around the net there are stickies which are supposed to be read, FIRST.
    We were all newbies, at some point.
    Statements like
    It should NOT be this difficult to set up anything in 2015
    are not really helpfull because nobody here is being paid to give anybody support. There might be a reason why the installation program opens the wiki pages automatically right after the setup.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    He began by complaining about me reposting and taunted that it wouldn't get me an answer . Not a good PR move.
    No forum on this planet likes cross-posting. We also provide instructions about opening help threads https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/welcome-to-the-newcomers-forum-please-read-before-posting.131764/

His response that I do things I already (install/reinstall) STATED I did in the message he responded to. Not a good look, at least READ my post before responding.
    I did read your posting, but you may not really have read mine. There is no way of knowing what you really did. While you certainly went through several install and uninstall cycles, I am quite certain that you did not clean the registry. I also said that we do require logs to understand what is happening. And last not least I told you to create a confirmed clean state before doing another attempt - and then provide full logs.

The tone of his response was not positive and I responded in kind.
    I have been writing my reply on a small Iphone, which is a pain in the neck by itself - also English is not my native language. However, I don't feel that I have to excuse myself, As I said above: Cross-posting is not good habit. Not just here, not just since yesterday but since the very first days of forums in the usenet.

if I can't use it how grateful can I be? I'd love to be able to install it and say, "Thanks for this wonderful software" to someone.
    We all try to provide as much help as time permits, our time, and more precisely our free time. You don't need to be grateful but you should provide logs as requested. I told you where to look for the logs, sadly you either did not read what I said, or you just don't care.

because obviously this forum isn't for me.
    Rules for using this forum are described in the "Welcome to the newcomers sticky thread", whose link is posted above. Without logs no support is possible.

EDIT: The sticky thread link content is quite old and I realize that some of the embedded links are no longer alive. I will update them when I have a minute.

Last edited:

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I know I reposted it. I thought the second post in the MP#1 troubleshooting area was the most accurate place to post it. Of course I installed/uninstalled/reinstalled all associated programs several times ... thought that was stated or had at least been implied. It should NOT be this difficult to set up anything in 2015. There's some glitch/bug that'll hopefully be fixed because using One Click shouldn't be the ONLY alternative.

I just wanted direct setup instructions for mysql 5.6? Is that possible?

Also, if I state I'm a newbie and need instructions why would you state that I should've included logs? How would I know that? I'm writing a review of my experience with the software online. Hopefully someone who understands that I'm a newbie and reads my first post can help.
    Allright, time for a response from a non friendly guy...

Who the hell do you think you are? I have never seen such a stupid post on a forum before.. You want to post a review of MP? Be my guest.. Wich such an atitude, I don't think people like to read your stuff anyway..

So let me be clear; If you don't change your behaviour on our forum I will delete your account.

ONTOPIC: I think HTPCSourcer has giving you some good suggestions to start with. I can guarantee you that nothing is wrong with our installer so there must be something corrupt on your system. I installed MP a thousend times on several pc's and connecting to our tv server was never a problem.

So be sure everything is removed, especially the mysql and other SQL software parts from your programfiles and programdata folders.. Also, run ccleaner to clean up your registry.

Last but not least, be sure you have a proper network connection as this is required for a good communication between mysql and tvserver.

Happy reviewing!

Cheers,
    Marcel

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    You did NOT what he told you to do. Simply uninstalling and re-installing doesn't get you anywhere. Even with a "full clean up" you will still have leftovers in the registry and probably a backup or other leftovers on your computer, which MePo will find and use. And yes, we know that's not perfect.
    My tip would be,
    first, do what you're being asked to do, to the letter,
    second, if you still have problems, post logs after a clean install,
    third, and this is tongue in cheek, work a little bit on your forum manners:rolleyes:

Edit:
    He did not complain, he just wanted to remind you of a couple of things which are online etiquette 101.
    Btw, he just said cross postings would not INCREASE your chances of getting an answer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom