Date format (1 Viewer)

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
January 9, 2020
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Why doesn't MP2 use the computer's regional settings to set the date format, why is it so difficult to set the date format to UK dates (dd/mm/yyyy), and why is the help so inadequate?
After a lot of trial and error I found that a date format string of d/M/yyyy gave me UK format dates on all but the recording schedule(?). The caption to the date format entry field said that 'D' (as opposed to 'd') would give me the day of the week as well as the date, but entering D/M/yyyy gave me dates in US format (and no day of the week).
Strangely dddd/dd/MM gives me UK dates everywhere(?).
All of the above was on a Win10 computer.
On Win7 d/m/yyyy or d/m/y or even a blank in the date format box gives me a UK date format except in the recording schedule. How do I get the recording schedule to show dates in UK format in Windows 7?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Understanding the help is vital.

Have you checked the Wiki and it’s entry „Date format“? The D or d refer to the .Net time formats, which are explained in some more detail in the Wiki and in depth in the referenced links.

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2020
    Home Country
    Understanding the help is vital.
    That was my problem. In spite of having spent many years developing software (although not having had any dealings with .NET) I didn't understand it.
    Have you checked the Wiki and it’s entry „Date format“?
    Yes, but it didn't help me.
    And why have I managed to get all dates to display in UK format except for those on the recording schedule?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well, you should use either D or d - nothing else. There are more possibilities, yet they are not very meaningful within MP.

The other thing that we were aware of is a wrong time display within the TV Guide, which has been described in the bug section, discussed, captured as Jira, resolved and marked as such. It will be rolled out in the next release.

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2020
    Home Country
    Well, you should use either D or d - nothing else.
    If I use a capital D where should the day of the week appear? I haven't seen it anywhere, just e.g. 13/2/2020.
    The other thing that we were aware of is a wrong time display within the TV Guide.
    Do you mean the TV Schedule? The dates in the actual guide seem to be OK.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I start getting slightly confused. Would you mind posting a screenshot of the screens in question and the associated problem?

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2020
    Home Country
    I start getting slightly confused. Would you mind posting a screenshot of the screens in question and the associated problem?
    Herewith.
    As you will see the date on the list of recordings is in UK format (the Regional Setting on the computer) but those on the Recording Schedule is in US format. The date format setting is an uppercase D but I haven't seen the day of the week displayed anywhere.

Attachments

• Date format setting.PNG
      Date format setting.PNG
      342.7 KB
    • Recording schedules.PNG
      Recording schedules.PNG
      398.2 KB
    • List of recordings.PNG
      List of recordings.PNG
      603.4 KB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The date format setting is an uppercase D but I haven't seen the day of the week displayed anywhere.
    The display of the day in additon to time is subject to the skin that you are using. WMC is not displaying the weekday, but a BlueVision skin does.

but those on the Recording Schedule is in US format.
    This screen seems to be using the format that corresponds to the original Windows OS language (suggesting that you are using a US Windows). I switched to UK settings here, yet this screen keeps displaying date in the German format, which is not right.

@morpheus_xx , there seems to be yet another location where the code is falling back to the Windows OS language rather than using the regional settings or even better display as per the MP2 settings (see also MP2-831). The problem appears to be limited to the recording schedule screen and is independent of the skin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom