Wiki Date/Time Format explanation in wiki (1 Viewer)

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,

As there is some issue in .net 3.0 regarding the short time format settings, I would suggest an addendum to the wiki at http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/15_Customization/03_Date//Time_Format.

Something along the lines of (at the "Use long time format" section):
    Due to .NET issues, if you use the short time format, the format used will be derived from the current format which is specified in Windows' "Regional and Language Options". Any customizations of this format (through "Customize this format..." will be ignored.

Don't know if this needs to be described in less technical terms, but that all I can think of right now

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    @doskabouter - sorry just saw your post - but I am a bit confused - where is 'Customize this format..."? AFAIK you cannot customize either the short or long time format in MP - in both cases it has always used the format specified in Windows Regional and Language options. That in itself is worth adding a note to that wik page imo. But I just wanted to clarify the point first ;).

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The customization is done in windows configuration. But whatever you choose there, it's ignored by .NET, and thus by mediaportal...

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Ah gothca - thanks. I'm on Win7 64 bit English and I get this screen:
    Capture.JPG

So I gather MP will override the windows settings with those you select in the Home Plugin for Date Time formats. But since it only allows you to select 'use long time' that is based on the Windows Settings which will be ignored. So it just uses the default long time setting Right?

EDIT: I just tested and I was able to change the long time in Win7 with .net 3.5

Last edited:

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Here, it still doesn't quite work as expected:

When I check "Use long time format" the clock shows 8:49:29 PM, and dhe tv-guide shows 20:00, 21:00, etc.
    When I uncheck it, clock shows 20:50, tv guide also 20:00 etc

This with the following settings for windows time:
    Short time hh:mm tt (08:51 PM)
    Long time h:mm:ss tt (8:51:01 PM)

So only when using the long time, windows settings are respected

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Ok now I am really confused :p Are you reporting a bug or an error in Wiki?
    AFAIK changing the date/time format in the Home plugin only affects home screens and if a skin displays the skin properties #date #time (usually displayed on every window in most skins) . Correct me if I am wrong but I do not think those settings have ever applied to TV Guide times?

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Sorry about the confusion, it is quite complicated.
    In base it is a bug, but it is in .NET, so I proposed a bit of explanation for a workaround in the wiki.

The thing is, .net (and thus mediaportal) doesn't respect the short time format customization. Instead it derives it from the current format of the regional settings in windows as described in the first post.

So when you customize the short time format, it doesn't affect the way mediaportal displays the time, however, if you choose another format (from the first dropdown on the "Formats" tab in region and language settings (in windows), then the way mediaportal displays the time *does* change.

Can't imagine this clearing the confusion, but I'll try anyway :)

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I added the note, though I agree with you I am not sure how easy it is to grasp. ;) But at least it is there if someone else runs into the problem you did.

Thanks for your patience doskabouter and taking the time to explain it so thoroughly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom