Default vs Default Wide Skin for 4:3 TV...DW actually looks better. (1 Viewer)

AlexT

Portal Member
May 2, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Quirky title, I know, bare with me, please. lol

Luv'ing MP, can't put it anymore simple than that. I've only been a user of 1.20 Beta. I am posting this here because it might actually be more of a general finding than specific to the WS & 4:3 (Default Wide & Default) skin that comes with 1.20 Beta.

I have a STD CRT TV, pc is dual purpose, Nvidia dualview, I output 1024x768 to the TV.

The Default Wide skin renders better (text and images included) than the Default. It appears to have no problems scaling itself to the 4:3 aspect ratio of my STD TV. See the screen captures below and you can at least see the size difference. On my CRT TV, size matters, I've always used 1024x768 but have toyed with 800x600 pre-MP to try and more closely match the default spec's for my CRT TV. In the end, everything looks better at 1024x768.

So I'm wondering, is this common, how default wide skins render better on a 4:3 screen?

Thank you.

(saved at 75% for filesize purposes)

02.jpg

DEFAULT WIDE

01.jpg

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi AlexT

When you say "renders better" what do you actually mean - text clarity is better, objects are larger, lines are cleaner?
    Aside from the MediaPortal logo image being obviously out of proportion, there aren't any clear indicators of problems with the wide version in 4:3 mode. You'd have to ask the skin designers about that...

mm

AlexT

Portal Member
    May 2, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi AlexT

When you say "renders better" what do you actually mean - text clarity is better, objects are larger, lines are cleaner?
    Aside from the MediaPortal logo image being obviously out of proportion, there aren't any clear indicators of problems with the wide version in 4:3 mode. You'd have to ask the skin designers about that...

mm
    Morning. Quite right on the "renders better" clarification. Apologies, as I was leaving the screenshots to do the talking but should have included my personal views on that.

• Text is larger.
    • Text edges appear more defined.
    • Text is brighter.

The last two I liken to the first; ie, larger text. But...larger text almost implies stretched-out or expanded, which will often cause less clarity; ie, blurring or dull fill region, less defined edges. In this case, I do not see that, the edges of font's remain well-defined, the fill area of the font (main portion) is not dulled or blurred. So in my own personal terms, "renders better."

I realize a screenshot of what "appears on my tv" is not a true screenshot, as it is taken a grab of the desktop that is served to my TV and the only way I could possibly attempt to represent what I see on my TV is a digital cam shot. It does make a real difference on a CRT TV, using the Default Wide, and for the better. Even when using a screen resolution of 800x600, instead of 1024x768, the Default Wide renders better for me.

Thanks for pointing out that clarification was needed, appreciate it.

If you like larger text try aMPed skin you can chose #18 font and 4 different themes.
    TLD, thanks for the suggestion. Would you believe that after I made the post, I did just that. lol So addictive, tweaking for the maximum MP experience. I did like how it rendered, such an incredible design...and the font sizes, great! I will be open and say that the only reason I uninstalled was I deal primarily with two things in MP: Video Shares & watching TV. I only have HD via ATSC for four channels, the rest are analog cable at present, and a big "unfortunately" to that. However, believe I will switch to satellite very soon and things will change but for now, I use Lists more than anything and wasn't presently comfortable with their workings. I am going to reinstall aMPed and use it for several days, as it might have just been my being use to the Default Wide skin these past couple of months. Cheers for taking the time to suggest it, though. Like I said, it's an incredible design and does include everything, just like it's page says.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I think that there is not as much team testing done for non widescreen default skin, I don't even own 4:3 screen and have not for at least 10 years.

Glad you found aMPed, Dadeo will be so pleased with your comments :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom