mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi All,

After a long pause of using MP, I want to use the opportunity of switching to sat to build a new HTPC (my first time). And for that I would not mind some recommendations / help (thanks to etheesdad for the tutorial on this forum!). So I will first post my needs and then my initial ideas about components (since it's been a long time since I setup my last PC, my knowledge may be limited).

Situation:
    - 4 Satelite Setup is planned (Astra 1,2,3 & Hotbird) (from Western Germany)
    - 1 TB NAS Storage is already available for Media Storage (Buffalo NAS)
    - Currently using N class Wifi, cable for 1 GB is already there but not installed (and also no switch) so I would try wifi first.
    - TV is a Philips 37" (unfortunatly no pixel perfect solution possible) with DVI on 1080i

Needs:
    - Quiet, but not "No-Noise"
    - Dual Tuner HD
    - DVD player
    - Audio Out to Stereo (yep, still no Surround Sound)

Wants:
    - Some casual gameplay would be nice (I fly MS FS X sometime, why not on the big screen)
    - Blue-Ray player / recorder
    - CI access (for when HD+ is possible within normal CIs)
    - Built-in Card Reader (I take quite a lot of fotos)

Price Range target 600 €-900 €

My current ideas are:
    - Case: Antec Fusion Remote Black (http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NzE4)
    - Processor: Intel Core i3 (nice new processor from intel!)
    - Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-H57M-USB3, Intel H57, mATX, DDR3, PCI-Express Motherboard (http://www.amazon.de/Gigabyte-Mainboard-GA-H57M-USB3-1156-DDR3/dp/B0036EJP80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=ce-de&qid=1270642662&sr=1-1)
    - Gfx: I thought to stick to the Core i3 internal Gfx first. What is your opinion?
    - Mem: 4 GB of some 1066 DDR 3 (important?)
    - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power Netzteil 530W (I think this about doubles the requirements)
    - DVD/BlueRay: ?
    - HDD: Either OCZ 60 GB Solid State Disk: (OCZ 60 GB Solid State Disk 6,4 cm Festplatte Vertex: Amazon.de: Elektronik)
    or Western Digital WD10EARS Caviar Green 1.0TB interne Festplatte(8.9 cm, 5400rpm, 8.9ms, 64MB Cache, SATA) (Western Digital WD10EARS Caviar Green 1.0TB interne: Amazon.de: Elektronik)
    - DVB-S2: Idea: DigitalDevices PCI-Express TWIN-DVB-S2 HDTV Karte für MediaCenter-PC, is it supported? Has no CI at the moment. What is better?

What else do I need? What are your comments?

P.S.: When I timeshift to the SSD or to a Memory Disk, will the record this function copy the running buffer to the new (recording) location (aka in case of the SSD I will record all to the NAS)?

Thanks for your feedback!

I know the price range is not hit pretty good at the moment. The 600 is more of a hope.

EDIT: The PSU is obviously to big in scope. I will search for a 300 W be quiet! I think

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    After building 3 custom HTPC's (2 x Coolermaster CM-260 and a Thermaltake Mozart SX) I went the other way. I bought a simple small PC of the shelf.
    sx2800-07.jpg

This computer has the same glossy black finish as my Sony AV receiver and Bluray player, and size wise it has the same hight as the other two components stacked, so it fits perfectly next to it.

This computer has all what you need for a HTPC and is super quite, I can't hear it running 10ft away, you have to listen real hard to hear the computer noise. Gateway Official Site: Shop - Desktops - SX2800 07 Desktop Product Details. Simple, powerful and cheap computer that does it all. For me this is the perfect MediaPortal client (with enough power and options to be my back-up media/TV server)

One lesson I learned is that no matter how hard you try to build a silent HTPC that can do all, it always ends up creating more noise and heat then wat you really wanted.

Another lessonI learned is that VFD's and other displays are eye candy and may give a bit of WOW factor, but it realy does not add to the experience watching the media on the big screen. More often it gives you a lot of pain trying to make it work seamlessly.

Before I forget, one word of advice; Don't go for a 5400rpm HDD, go for 7200rpm, if noise is a problem go for a 2-1/2" drive.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Found a probably fitting DVB-S2 Dual Tuner card with CI option, the Mystique SaTiX-S2 DUAL.

Any experiances with this?

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Designing my first HTPC

It would be better for you if you buy the Digital Devices Cine S2 (Digital Devices is the manufacturer of the Mystique SaTiX but it has some driver based advantages.)

dlarge500

Extension Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2009
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Designing my first HTPC

i have the Digital Devices Cine S2 too with CI but MediaPortal have problems with this CI. The Devs from MP must male this Card+CI compatible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom