Development of a Audio Censorship Processor (1 Viewer)

ready1

January 26, 2009
Hi,

I have been using MP since v0.2 and boy has this software gone a long way since then. The plugin/processor that i want to build is purely personal as I have a 2 and 4 year old boys who loves my rock music collection and rock video collection. There is a lot of swearing and I really do not want to spend the money on software to edit and resample audio/video just to bleep out the profanity.

I want to create a plugin/processor that does the following:

1. During playback of Movie, MP3 or Online Video I want to be able to press a hotkey that will trigger my plugin to save the current song/video unique name and the current playback time to the database that i want censored for next time.

2. When the same song/video is played and reaches a playback time that has been marked as censored then it will overlay a bleep or whatever wav file i have configured to block out the swearing.

3. The database will be stored online so that it can be shared amongst other users.

I want to build the entire plugin but would love to get some directions just to save me time in hunting around for codes or asking questions after questions.

I am a software and website developer and would love to dedicate sometime to assist this awesome crew. I have my own dedicated server on the Telstra backbone running on 25/40 mbit so if there are anything you guys I would love to assist were I can.

12:00 am

Ok after a couple of hours, my development is going full steam ahead. I now have my processor retrieving currently playing media and the critical part of my next step is how to monitor for a key event so that i can savein my database the media currently playing and the current position of playback.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01:45 am

Alright got the Hot Key happening. So the processor is able to capture the Currently Playing Media and it's position when the HotKey is pressed.... Woo hoo I think its time to go sleep.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012-02-06 20:30

Ok I am pretty much on the home stretch and I am hoping someone can shed some light to this weirdness:

When I set the volume using the g_player class:

MediaPortal.Player.g_Player.Volume = 0; // THIS MUTES THE MUSIC PLAYING BUT
MediaPortal.Player.g_Player.Volume = _originalVolume; // THE MUSIC IS STILL MUTED HOWEVER

Changing the volume using:

MediaPortal.Player.VolumeHandler.Instance.Volume = 0; // THIS MUTES
MediaPortal.Player.VolumeHandler.Instance.Volume = _originalVolume; // THIS ACTUALLY BRINGS THE SOUND BACK

I would like to know how i can overlay a Bleep Sound in .wav or .mp3 format whilst the Player is MUTED??

2012-02-06 23:50

I can't believe my first plugin is nearing completion. So basically this is what it does.

1. Listen to a song
2. When a swear word is spoken press the hot key (asterisk) to toggle censorship
3. To toggle censorship press hot key again.
4. The plugin detects the displacement between the on/off when the hot key is pressed
5. The plugin will save the filename, start and end time to bleep out in the database
6. Next time the song is played the portion you have censored will now be muted...

woohoo and it works.. the wife will love me more now that the songs can be cleaned out without having to use 3rd party programs. Kids can now safely listen to some Limp Bizkit but half of the songs will be bleeeeped out :)

STILL TO DO - HELP PLEASE
==================
1. Overlay .wav or .mp3 during censored areas of songs or videos
2. Extend the database to have a centralised storage to enable sharing of your hard work with the rest of the community.
3. Test with community
4. How do I deploy, anyone interested?

Check us out on : Kinetic Globe > we are a proud australian company

Regards,
Ready1

Jim T

Portal Member
September 14, 2007
This sounds very good. Is there anyway to apply a similar thing to videos and movies? I would like to be able to censor the swearing out of movies and skip some scenes that are not child-friendly. Do you think this plugin could be adapted?

Jim T

ready1

January 26, 2009
Hi Jim,

Wow someone is actually interested in this plug-in..

Yeah the plug-in can bleep out audio in music, movies, online videos and downloaded videos. I guess it can also skip out bad scenes if programmed that way but not hard to do.

It is still in very basic version and was only built for my own reasons and have not touched it since a month ago. I was happy that it was doing what it was suppose to do hence i didnt continue programming to make it user friendly.

There are still a lot to be done to make it friendly enough for the public.

Regards,
Jeremy

Jim T

Portal Member
September 14, 2007
I will have to have a look at how plugin development works. If it isn't beyond my limited programming ability ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom