Operating System Diagnosing BSOD on suspend or hibernate (XP) (1 Viewer)

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I recently swapped out the motherboard in my HTPC because the old one was not compatible with my new tuner. I didn't reinstall Windows (XP Home), just uninstalled/reinstalled the chipset drivers to see if I could get away with it.

Well, I thought I'd been lucky, but the system will not go into standby or hibernate now. It usually gives a BSOD, but sometimes just hangs on the "preparing to hibernate" screen.

I've tried all the hints I can find on the web, fiddled with S3/S1 settings in the BIOS, played with MCE Standby Tool, deleted hiberfil.sys, etc etc.

I know I should really just reinstall, but does anybody know of a cunning way to find out WHICH driver (or whatever) is causing the error? The only thing I can find from the event log messages is that it's "probably a bad driver". Is there a way of logging the shutdown like with the bootlog?

Normal shutdown works fine, BTW. And so does log off.

Any genius hints before I give up and reinstall? (and then possibly find it still doesn't work!)

Rob

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Perhaps you could try a Repair install, which will leave all your programs intact but re-install all the important Windows components. Make a backup first though, in case it doesn't work or makes things worse!

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    Thanks for the reply. That may work, you're right. I've decided to reinstall with Windows 7 though - it was about time I got round to it - that XP installation has got pretty messy after years of use.

Windows 7 on a spare drive works fine with suspend. Just need to transfer MP over...

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Yeah, I migrated to Win7 fairly recently, mainly for gaming and so I could use more than 4GB.

I think I would have stuck with XP if I could have, as there's quite a few annoyances in Win7 (like Explorer doing weird things when clicking on folders) but it's not too bad and I'm getting used to it.

My Win7 has got fairly messy already, but I'm trying to use Virtualbox for a lot of stuff to keep it away from my Win7 install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom