Codecs Different audio profiles for stereo and 5.1 (1 Viewer)

Raveen

Portal Member
January 14, 2009
United Kingdom United Kingdom
This is a little complicated and apologies in advance if I use incorrect terminology to make things even more complicated...

What I would like to do is connect my PC to the TV using HDMI and use the TV speakers for normal TV viewing but on occasion switch to my 5.1 speakers attached to the motherboard soundcard.

Complicating the issue is that the TV has noticeable input lag and so running the two systems at the same time produces an echo. I can set the 5.1 to have a delay in LAV to get that in sync with the picture but I can't find a way to quickly switch the settings.

The ideal user solution would be a keypress in MP that switches both the LAV setup and the default audio device in Windows.

Any ideas? ;)

trepamuros

Portal Pro
December 2, 2008
Spain Spain
I'm very interested on this question.

Currently, I'm using a "complex" workaround for this:

- Using AutoHotKeys, I created a script which opens LAV settings, marks/unmakrs the DTS and passthrough stuff, close it, opens audio devices in W7 and selects wether the HDMI output or the SPDIF output. In fact there are two scripts, one for HDMI-output and another for SPDIF-output.
- These scripts can be compiled easily into a couple of .exe files with ahk2exe (I think it's included in the AutoHotKeys download pack).
- Having this, I placed the shortcuts on my W7 desktop so and I can launch any of them whenever, swapping between HDMI and SPDIF with a single keypress.
- Finally, the hardest part: How to launch these executables from inside MP. Well, using MultiShortcut plugin for Media Portal, these executables can be converted on "real" MP plugins and of course can be launched from the menu, but MultiShortCut is now discontinued (I think) and it's a bit tricky to make it work on latest MP versions.

Recently I discovered NIRCMD (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html), a small utility for Windows which can also be used for this purpose (at least, for the swapping audio device part). A simple command line can activate the audio device you want. Example:
NirCmd.exe setdefaultsounddevice "Speakers"
Will activate Speakers as default audio device.

I hope somebody could find an easier way to do this.

juro

Portal Pro
March 23, 2009
Germany Germany
Country flag
indeed this nircmd a solution i used over yeras in combination with the multishortcut plugin, for multishortcut i created 2 shortcuts which I then put in my x10 remote controll to switch from there between a digital (optical connection to avr) and a analog sound device (analog connection to TV).

With my new onkyo receiver i unfortunately have the same challenge. Pc is connected via HDMI to AVR (paass through) to TV. Mostly I watch tv without switching on the avr , sometimes I Would like to have 5.1 digital sound over the AVR. So I have to switch between 2 audiop profiles as well. Analog and digital (pass through). Here I usse ffdshow I created 2 profiles . Ech of them I saved as reg file. Switching between the profilen is again solved with multishortcut.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

OP Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Different audio outputs Feature Requests 0
J Different video and audio streams. OnlineVideos 8
J [fixed] Importer confused on specific movies with the same title, different years and different NFO's Submit: Bug Reports 3
R Files moved to different location - Easy way to update database? Moving Pictures 2
P Recordings using different tuners? General Support 1
Golf4 TV-Records werden als Audio-Files importiert ? Allgemeines Support- und Diskussionsforum 0
W [solved] Incorrect audio being reported Moving Pictures 4
404 [solved] Live TV...video and audio freeze General Support 20
ninja 12 Audio dropouts with Dolby / DTS watch/edit Videos 12
bta489 [solved] DVB-T2 Recordings: Sometimes no Audio after muxing with mkvmerge Tools and other software 2
T [solved] MP2 Switch off visualisation when listening to audio....PLEASE!!! General 23
azzuro [fixed] [WIP MP2.3] - Audio files not imported to MP MediaPortal 2 18
S Remote button to change audio and subtitle on / off General 10
F Audio render and font error in my logs General Support 2
R [solved] Command / Shortcut for changing subtitles or audio Archive 5
K Multichannel audio and subtitles for TV not properly supported General Support 4
Glith Audio out of sync after pause. Rewind 15sec gets it into sync again. MediaPortal 1 Talk 0
C ARC Audio Renderer Changer: wo kann man es konfigurieren? Video & DVD 15
joecrow No Audio after MP Start/Resume from Sleep General Support 0
C Ability to browse videos and audio by folder General 2
Lichloathe Offline audio content General 9
G How best to get cover art for tracks to show up on the Audio Menu (Latest Added, Unplayed)? General 9
Ralph Holmes Wrong audio source in TV General 1
CyberSimian [Proposal] Audio description MediaPortal 1 10
ge2301 [fixed] [MP2-807] Problem when switching player in PiP mode with audio files MediaPortal 2 32