Disable mouse wheel scrolling on MP (1 Viewer)

Joon4s

Portal Member
February 29, 2008
Problem 1)
My mouse wheel scrolls by itself, causing MP to skip backwards/forwards.

Problem 2)
I have a two screen setup, one screen is for MP and the other for desktop. When someone is on the desktop using for example firefox, MP steals focus and scrolling cause video to skip.

Solution:
Ardamax Mouse Wheel Control
http://www.ardamax.com/mwc/

Amwc translates mouse wheel scrolling to keypresses and you can configure it to be active only on selected application. Just browse for mediaportal executable, and configure up & down scroll to scroll lockor something else that isn't used in mediaportal. Anyway scroll lock is a safe bet since it's completely useless button and isn't used in almost any application.

mralolli

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    When I'm using two independent screens (dual mode) "Problem 2" is a major issue. It's the main source of unwanted interference caused by the desktop activity towards the MP running on the secondary screen.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/images/smilies/thx.gif Many thanks for your suggested solution: it works fine and no other app on my system is affected by the change.

Diagnosis (WinXP based system): during normal non-MP desktop activity the MP window running on a secondary screen can easily/automatically become the "current active window", out the intentions of the operator's handling the mouse. On this status random mouse clicks are not so dangerous like nervous/relaxing mouse wheel playing because of mouse buttons actions are cursor position dependent and the MP window is on a separate screen.

Proposal: on my opinion the mouse wheel scrolling is not usefull at all for MP applications. We are constrained to patch an MP basic behaviour that is not configurable and, furthermore, it seems useless. That naturally leads one to raise the following MP change request:

Mouse Wheel scrolling disabled, as fixed basic feature or as
    the default in the keyboard/mouse general configurabilty

Comments are wellcome, in order to understand if and how could be effective to formalize any proposal about this toipic.

Troubleshooting: download and install the small freeware utility katmouse (335 Kb); open the settings and add MediaPortal.exe in the application tab; once added to the list, just double-click it to define the custom scroll settings: scroll by 0 lines at a

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom