[OTHER] Do I need a dedicated video card? (1 Viewer)

JJayzon

Portal Member
November 19, 2011
Massachussetts
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Do I need a dedicated video card? I am currently in the process of building my very own HTPC, I am buying it piece by piece when I have the money. I am thinking about using the ASUS M4A88T-M it has an ATI Radeon HD 4250 Onboard Video Chipset. I already have an AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition CPU, and I am going to get 8gb of RAM. I will not be doing any gaming only watching bluray/DVDs and MKV, and streaming Hulu & Netflix. Is the motherboard’s onboard video chipset enough? If not what recommendations do you have.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi JJayzon

Do not spend money unless you have to, something I was just taught a long time ago, so put together that system, allow a little overhead on any power supply for upgrading (important, in fact the most important thing in a system) and you should be fine.

Most playback problems can be down to a misconfigured or bad driver, these can usually be fixed by finding a version that works for you.

Hey that unlocked phenom may need a bit of cooling though :D

JJayzon

Portal Member
    November 19, 2011
    Massachussetts
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi JJayzon

Do not spend money unless you have to, something I was just taught a long time ago, so put together that system, allow a little overhead on any power supply for upgrading (important, in fact the most important thing in a system) and you should be fine.

Most playback problems can be down to a misconfigured or bad driver, these can usually be fixed by finding a version that works for you.

Hey that unlocked phenom may need a bit of cooling though :D

Thanks,

Yeah I'm not going to keep the stock heat sink, hopefully I can unlock the CPU. I am starting with a 430w PSU can always upgrade if needed. Any sugestions on a heat sink? I'm going to use the Antec Black Aluminum / Steel Fusion Remote Black Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case.

Again

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom