Tools and other software Do I need handrake as well as videoredo? (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have finally got round to tidying up some of my media folders.

I have loads of .rec, .dvr-ms, .WTV and .ts files that I have since edited out the adverts from and then saved them all as .ts files.

I have been using videoredo for this and shall definititely be buying this when the trial ends (I have tried free alternatives, but this is the only program that seems to do the trick).

To save some further space, I would now like to convert the .ts files to .mkvs with h.264 comperession. I know that the recommended way of doing this is to use Handbrake.

The thing is is that Videoredo also offers the ability to save as .mkv with h.264. This being the case, do I really need Handbrake anymore? Can I not just edit the adverts out of any .ts file and save it directly as an mkv?

Ultimately, I am asking whether there is any difference between Videoredo and Handbrake when it comes to creating .mkv files?

Thanks

Alex

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Freemake video converter will also edit video and then output as any format you chose, not as intuitive as videoredo though, which gets top marks at this.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    I am not sure what level of compression VideoReDo can apply to your videos or if it simply puts the files in an MKV "container".

If you have a working trial of VideoReDo, the best thing you can do is do some trials to test if the file size can be set to your requirements.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi there,

As far as I can remember Videoredo offers the option to save as .mkv with h.264 compression and then warns you that a major recode is required. I assume that this is allowing compression to take place, but I shall have another mess around with it to double check.

Freemake looks promising - have you been using this long? How does it compare to Videoredo in terms of subtitle support, frame accurate cutting and error correction?

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Hmm, didn't know that. Is there any compressed format that will preserve the ability to switch on the dvb subtitles?

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    I was not aware of this either - I thought the whole point of .MKVs was their ability to handle multiple subtitles and audio streams. I too am going to have to reconsider converting all my media then, as preserving subtitles is really important for me.

foxbenw

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2011
    Welwyn Garden City
    Home Country
    Sorry, I don't know.
    I played around with converting the subs to another format for a bit, but came to the conclusion that it was just unnecessary pain. I prefer to live with the separate sub track and a bigger file. Even a 1tb drive can hold c 1000 hours of SD ts files (give or take).

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    My TV recordings (TS files) have the subs embedded so I don't understand why you have a separate file.

Anyway, it seems that MCEBuddy should be able to extract the subs from the TS file and create a srt file to go with the avi/mkv it creates, so (hopefully) problem solved.

foxbenw

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2011
    Welwyn Garden City
    Home Country
    Sorry, I didn't mean a separate file. I meant I prefer to live with the bigger file in order to retain the dvb track in a ts file.
    Extracting the sub track and storing it alongside seems like a good option if you really want to shrink the file size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom