Does this sounds like a good HTPC system? (1 Viewer)

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

for a graphics card you can consider these:
    ATI 9250 and above
    NVidia 5200 and above

Those are DX9 cards, passive and not expensive. When going for NVidia you should look for a 6200.

sri said:
    If you're planning on using the HTPC on a tv i would recommend an ATI-card. Then you can solder a VGA-to-scartRGB cable and get an awesome picture out from the ATI card. I think only ATI (maybe Matrox, definately not NVidia) support this because ATI has hsync and vsync on the same pin (at least i think that was the difference).

I am using this solution too on my Radeon 8500 and the picture quality simply rocks! :) You are right with the synch signals, which cause problems on NVidia cards. But there are smart people out there, who found a solution for NVidia cards:
    http://www.myhtpc.de/showtopic.php?threadid=5482 (german!)

Flip

sri

Portal Member
    January 2, 2006
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Exactly, it _is_ possible with nvidia (and others?) cards too but it simly requires more soldering. The cable needs a circuitry that converts the separate syncs to a single on. But as FlipGer says; it's possible!

As FlipGer says too, it will suffice with an ordinary inexpensive ATI-card. You don't need a gamer-card. I chose a solution in the middle to be able to play on occasions but i rarely do. My HIS X700 was fan-cooled but really quiet, even so, i recently changed the cooling to Zalmans passive one. Now i'm only concerned about my PSU... :wink:

sirdandric

Portal Member
    February 23, 2006
    you think the 'MSI K8NGM2-FID' is a good choice for a mainboard (if i go for the Silverstone LC11 case and i need a mATX size mainboard). Or are there better options? (I also want the onboard sound to be good, since i won't use a seperate sound card).

If it's really true that onboard graphics isn't good enough i guess i'll put in a graphics card... (or are there options where onboard graphics will be good enough for media-pc purposes and with good TV-out)..

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    sirdandric said:
    you think the 'MSI K8NGM2-FID' is a good choice for a mainboard (if i go for the Silverstone LC11 case and i need a mATX size mainboard). Or are there better options? (I also want the onboard sound to be good, since i won't use a seperate sound card).

If it's really true that onboard graphics isn't good enough i guess i'll put in a graphics card... (or are there options where onboard graphics will be good enough for media-pc purposes and with good TV-out)..

The MSI brand is good.

The 6150 is fine for everything but possibly HDTV. Someone would need to confirm it's use for that. If you don't care about HDTV right now it will do what you need you can always add a card later for HDTV.

Hi-Def Audio on board... same chip as my desktop and HTPC. About as good as you'll get for on board audio chip wise. I can't say how good the analog portion of the circuit is.

The board has lot's of video out options. TV output varies so much I'm not sure what to tell you.

There's nothing wrong with mATX. I have a mATX in my main desktop, a full size ATX in my HTPC and ATX in my server (with only 1 PCI slot used btw). Figure out what cards you will need, then decide if mATX will work for you.
    I chose ATX for my HTPC because I wanted a WiFi card, at least 2 tuners and graphics fast enough for HDTV. That would fill a mATX, probably requires a graphics card anyway and would leave me no other expansion options but USB. My choice was obvious.

If the board has any drawbacks it's that you need places to mount the video and audio connectors as well as any plug in cards you get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom