dolby 5.1 help please?? (1 Viewer)

swamprat96

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 16, 2010
    Avoca Beach
    Home Country
    Just finished rebuilding a HTPC (Mediaportal)- on XP sp3). However I think I may be misunderstanding 5.1 Dolby. SPDIF(Toslink) and how it all works

I had to put a new(used) M/B in- a Gigabyte GA-965P-Ds3. It has a TOSlink port and uses the AC888 Realtek Chipset. But whilst its putting out sound- its only stereo. I can't see any setting in the software for Dolby. I have changed the speakers to 6 speakers- in windows and the realtek software- but it makes no difference. There seems to be no setting for digital 5.1

So I played a Star Wars DVD making sure I set the sound to 5.1 on the DVD- still only stereo. I would have thought that it would output 5.1 sound when the source is 5.1?

PS- I can't use HDMI for sound as my receiver only has Tos Link

So- is it that Gigabyte haven't paid dolby for a licence? Have I just got a shitty sound card? What do I need to do to get the 5.1 running?

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: dolby 5.1 help please??

Hello!
    Which audio codec do you use? You have to select bitstream passthrough in the audio codec options.
    If you use ffdshow audio decoder look at the attached pic. (go in configuration -> tab output)

ffdshow3.jpg

swamprat96

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 16, 2010
    Avoca Beach
    Home Country
    Sorry- I was testing this outside MP. Just put a DVD in the PC drive and played it through Windows meedia player. Thsi is a machine problem I think- not codec- but I could be wrong

There is a passthrough option in the realtek controls. Should I enable this?

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Of course you should! But even if you play a DVD in Windows Media Player there have to be an audio codec in use!
    Do you see a tray icon while playing the DVD?

swamprat96

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 16, 2010
    Avoca Beach
    Home Country
    Ah thanks. No I don't see a tray icon. The only codec pack I installed was the DIVx codec pack - so I'm guessing the audio codec in use is default windows. I'll try FFdshow tomorrow. Whilst I'm fairly fluent on PC's I don't have a great understanding of codecs - nor audio in general.

So am I right in thinking that the Passthrough spdif -in to spdif-out option means that the sound card passes the audio through digitally without any kind of encoding?

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Yes, it gives the audio straight to the av-receiver.

swamprat96

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 16, 2010
    Avoca Beach
    Home Country
    got it thanks. Installed the shark007 codec pack and set ffdshow to your settings. The passthrough option on the realtek killed the sound though. I changed output under mixer to "same as input"- and left the realtek setting to output digital audio source. 5.1 on DVD's - yay!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom