Don't have a clue where to start! (1 Viewer)

schumach

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2010
    I have been using MP for about 2 years now and it has become my main source for music, videos and online movies/tv series. Thank you to all that support/develop this product. I am now wanting to get rid of my tv provider and get a HD antenna for local stations and listen to FM radio via MP. I want to be able to record the tv shows available via the HD antenna. I have been reading some of the other threads, but it just is not making any sense to me. I am looking for suggestions on the type of card I will need to accomplish what I have stated above. My HTPC is a core duo, ati hd 5570, windows 7, 4 gig ram. Any assistance very much appreciated.

schumach

schumach

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2010
    I currently have dish, but I want to stop the service and just us the HD antenna for my local service. If I decided to stay with Dish is there a tv card that will work with the activation card that I need to insert in my current set-top-box?

schumach

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2010
    That does help, I just need to figure out what card to get. Do I need a card that has a DVR, or does MP perform that function? I really appreciate the help.

Schumach

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Have you decided to go down the atsc over the air using a antennae, if so you might want to consider a hauppauge HVR2250, this has 2 digital tuners which gives more recording watching flexibility, this would require an internal pci-e slot to be available.
    If you needed a remote, then the MCE version can be a good alternative.

Take a look at there website http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/country/country-selector.html

schumach

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2010
    that looks like what I need and I do have an open pci-e x 1 slot open. I want to use only over the air at this time. Can I use the FM functionality within MP with this card? Does this card accept HD channels over the air?

As I stated in the beginning, I am lost on this.

Thanks again,

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hiya schumach

A formal response to your questions: yes and yes.
    FM will work (as would NTSC analog TV if that were still available).
    HD channels over the air (ATSC) will work.
    Clear QAM (free cable) channels will also work.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom