Dot Net 2.0 or Dot Net 2.0beta ? (2 Viewers)

GusTheSadGeek

October 4, 2005
When I compile using C# Express2005 beta I get an error - presumably because I am using dot net 2.0beta and I assume the code wants 2.0

If I upgrade to dot net 2.0 then C# Express2005 beta doesn't work !

Am I doing something wrong ?

tklon

Portal Pro
September 3, 2004
Germany
Home Country
Germany Germany
Since yesterday I made my builds with NAnt. Now with Visual C# 2005 Express Edition I have also problems to build MP.

A How to build Media Portal with Visual C# 2005 Express Edition would be nice.

Can someone please post something to help.

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts USA
    GusTheSadGeek said:
    When I compile using C# Express2005 beta I get an error - presumably because I am using dot net 2.0beta and I assume the code wants 2.0

If I upgrade to dot net 2.0 then C# Express2005 beta doesn't work !

Am I doing something wrong ?

Same problem here.

Morten

Portal Member
    November 29, 2004
    Norway
    If you use the Express Beta, then you'll need to use the .Net Framework release too. (or whatever release the documentation for the particular release says)

If you want to you the relase of the .Net Framework 2.0, then you'll need the release of the Express edition too.

It's downloadable if you have a MSDN subscription ;-)

//Morten

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts USA
    Morten said:
    If you use the Express Beta, then you'll need to use the .Net Framework release too. (or whatever release the documentation for the particular release says)

If you want to you the relase of the .Net Framework 2.0, then you'll need the release of the Express edition too.

It's downloadable if you have a MSDN subscription ;-)

//Morten

Well, the obvious problm is that we don't *all* have MSDN subscriptions. Frankly, it would have been nice if the devs had provided a little more notice and info before switching over to .NET 2.0. :eek:

erisan500

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2004
    Oppuurs
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    You can't mix product versions. VS2005 Beta requires Framework 2 Beta. VS Release requires Framework 2 Release.

The MSDN website mentions that VS2005 Express versions will be sold for 49USD. This is way less then the full blown MSDN subscription and gives everybody the chance to buy a legal development env.

EriSan

jon230873

Portal Member
    August 1, 2004
    New Zealand
    I had problems too and I thought I download the code to find out what was happening.

Turned out it wasn't .net 2 but that I hadn't download the activeX com for the web plugin. Installed that and it work.

I not using the web plugin but it appears you still need to download the activeX com from the CSV download page for MP to work.

jf2020

Portal Member
    January 9, 2005
    And also it's free! this is from the Microsoft FAQ:

11. You said “free for one year†— what does that mean, exactly? Will you be charging for this later?
    We originally announced pricing of Visual Studio Express at US$49. We are now offering Visual Studio Express for free, as a limited-in-time promotional offer, until November 6, 2006. Note that we are also offering SQL Server 2005 Express Edition as a free download, and that this offer is not limited to the same promotional pricing period as Visual Studio Express.

12. Do customers who acquire the Visual Studio Express products during the free promotional pricing period have to pay after the first year if they want to continue to use them?
    If you acquire Visual Studio Express products within the one-year promotional period, you will enjoy the rights granted in the applicable license at no cost for the term of that license.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom