Ongoing Dreambox, Media Server & HTPCs - possible scenarios and viability? (1 Viewer)

tommyg_

March 15, 2011
I am embarking on a bit of project to get a one box solution for each room that gives me access to all my media.

Media will be Blu rips, downloads, music rips and tv content from my own sky subscription etc whilst at least have some protection from one of the drives going down. No gaming.

I am struggling to decide which route to go down, as far as I can see I have 3 possible scenarios. (in theory I assume they work)

# 1 Dreambox ---> TV Farm ---> unRaid Server ---> HTPC 1 & 2.

Dreambox decodes the S*yHD card.

TV farm (right terminlogy?) - Records live TV from 2 Dual DVB-S2 tuners Sends recordings nightly to server

unRaid Server - To store and distribute films, music, pictures and recorded TV content to HTPC 1 & 2 (wired connection) **Possible send music photos via wireless to squeezebox in kitchen (not essential)

HTPC 1 (Front room) - To play/show content from server on HDTV with AV AMP. To be able to watch live TV (from turners of TV farm) To be able to amend what is to be recorded on TV farm To rip blu rays/music that would then be sent to server

HTPC 2 (Bedroom) - play/show content from server on HDTV with small sound bar (Yamaha ysp type) To be able to watch live TV (from turners of TV farm) To be able to amend what is to be recorded on TV farm

#2 Dreambox ---> HTPC 1 & HTPC 2 <---> unRaid Server

HTPC 1 (Front room) - To play/show content from server on HDTV with AV AMP. To be able to watch/record live TV (from turner on board) To be able to amend what is to be recorded on other tuners To rip blu rays/music that would then be sent to server

HTPC 2 (Bedroom) - To play/show content from server on HDTV with small sound bar (Yamaha ysp type) To be able to watch/record live TV (from tuner on board) To be able to amend what is to be recorded on other tuners

unRaid Server - To store and distribute films, music, pictures and recorded TV content to HTPC 1 & 2 (wired connection) **Possible send music photos via wireless to squeezebox in kitchen (not essential)

# 3 Dreambox ---> Win7 Server ---> HTPC 1 & 2

Win7Server - Records live TV from 2 Dual DVB-S2 tuners Sends recording nightly to server To store and distribute films, music, pictures and recorded TV content to HTPC 1 & 2 (wired connection) **Possible send music photos via wireless to squeezebox in kitchen (not essential)

HTPC 1 (Front room) - To play/show content from server on HDTV with AV AMP. To be able to watch live TV (from turners of Win7 Server) To be able to amend what is to be recorded on Win7 Server To rip blu rays/music that would then be sent to server

HTPC 2 (Bedroom) - To play/show content from server on HDTV with small sound bar (Yamaha ysp type) To be able to watch live TV (from turners of Win 7 server) To be able to amend what is to be recorded on Win7 server

Any thoughts on which of the 3 routes are actually achievable?

DJBlu

Portal Pro
August 14, 2007
Llanelli
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Any reason why the dreambox needs to be used?
Is it just for reading the card or more? If it is more then just say more and I'll know what you mean.

If you just need card reading for your Sky Card then you could use the following
Get hold of a phoenix based reader. Infinity Smart USB is what I use.
You can install OSC*m to a windows server which will allow you to use your card in Option 3 without the Dreambox.
A couple of TBS6981's and you have 4 tuners with 1 card. Also look in the development thread as there is a thread on how to get the full Sky listings and series link from sky uk.

Then use the wake on lan feature when a htpc needs the tvserver andor files on the server.

If you require "More" from the Dreambox you could use VMWare to use linux on the windows7 server, then you can install the software you have on the dreambox.

Hope this helps.

If you need any more info then ask away but if its sensitive information then PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom