Dual Recording (1 Viewer)

morphjk

Portal Member
June 25, 2007
Home Country
I am wondering if someone can tell me how to setup MyTV to do dual recordings. I tried doing this last light and it only recorded one channel.

I have a Dvico Fusion Dual 4 Dual Digital which has the channels setup on both cards. There is times when I will want to record 2 channels at the same time so it would be nice if I could get this sorted out.

I am sure that it is a small issue but I couldn't see any answers in the Manual or FAQ or in the forum.

And also just wondering how I set it up so I can watch whilst recording. Sorry if the answer is out there somewhere I just couldn't find it. :confused:

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    All you need to do is make sure that the same channels are associated to both DVB-T tuners, and set the priority of each tuner to be different (say, one at 10 and the second at 1) for recording, and it should be OK.

morphjk

Portal Member
    June 25, 2007
    Home Country
    All you need to do is make sure that the same channels are associated to both DVB-T tuners, and set the priority of each tuner to be different (say, one at 10 and the second at 1) for recording, and it should be OK.

Okay sounds good. Will go make the adjustsments. Thanks Taipan, knew I could count on you. :)

deathnite

Portal Member
    August 26, 2007
    Home Country
    I've actually had the same problem with this same capture card.

I cannot get it to record anything using the second "bluebird" tuner.
    Ive actually re-installed 3 times (fresh from a format), are running the RC2 (no svn). Put on on the patch for the dual cards under XP. Everything else is rock solid.

The WAF is starting to kick in so i'm thinking of using Vista as the OS, and MP over the top.

Ive used this same card with Vista Ultimate (Media Centre) and it was also fine with dual recordings.

By the way.. Ive used this Software nearly 2 years now and have found to be the best of the best in terms of functionality and visually .....:D

ronald2oo2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 15, 2005
    Netherlands
    same here

I have 2 FireDTV DVB-S tuners connected to a quad LNB. Meaning: both tuners are fully independent and have the same channels associated. I do not use the TVserver.

I tried following settings

Tuner 1: priority 10
    Tuner 2: priority 9

A~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Tuner 1: recording + watch tv
    Tuner 2: recording + watch tv

CAN
    - record A while watching A (but by far not the intention of my 2 tuners/quad lnb)

CANNOT
    - record A while watching B (recording is made but is black as night)
    - record A + record B (and at the same time zap between A and B; this was the functionality I hoped for)

B~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Tuner 1: recording
    Tuner 2: watch tv

CAN
    - record A while watching B ..... BUT with a very anoying twist:
    when watching A -and recording of B is automatically started- watched channel A switches to B and program guid eis invoked (and the time-shift buffer of A is lost *&^%$#). Can however switch back the live-tv to A and recording on B remains ok

CANNOT
    - record A + record B (but was to be expected)

C~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Tuner 1: watch tv
    Tuner 2: recording

CAN
    - record A while watching B (no annoying side effects found)

CANNOT
    - record A + record B (but was to be expected)

D~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Tuner 1: watch tv + recording
    Tuner 2: recording

(need to verify these results once more)

CAN (looking good)
    - 1st record B + 2nd select & watch A (and zap with A)
    - 1st record B + 2nd select & watch A + record A (can not zap A/live tv)
    - 1st record B + 2nd select & watch A + record A + 3rd stop A and select other channel for A and start recording on new A

CANNOT
    - stop the first started recording B with record button but needed to remove it in the planner (even if first A was stopped)
    - zap live tv between recordings A and B; this was the functionality I hoped for like said earlier

interresting would be the following test (will try to test this):
    - plan recordings for several different channels with max. 2 overlapping programs at a time. (not forget to stop MyTV)

Cheers,
    Ronald

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hmmm - sounds strange. I have 2 DVB-T cards and I can do any combination of recording and watching with both cards and it all works fine.

I assume that you are using TVE2?

The only difference that I can think of is to do with the BDA drivers - I am using two different (different manufacturers) DVB-T cards, which use their own (different) BDA drivers. However, both your DVB-S cards are identical - I wonder if the BDA drivers are getting confused .... :confused:

Does the manufacturer of the FireDTV DVB-S tuners claim that you can use two at the same time with the same application?

ronald2oo2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 15, 2005
    Netherlands
    Hmmm - sounds strange. I have 2 DVB-T cards and I can do any combination of recording and watching with both cards and it all works fine.

I assume that you are using TVE2?

The only difference that I can think of is to do with the BDA drivers - I am using two different (different manufacturers) DVB-T cards, which use their own (different) BDA drivers. However, both your DVB-S cards are identical - I wonder if the BDA drivers are getting confused .... :confused:

Does the manufacturer of the FireDTV DVB-S tuners claim that you can use two at the same time with the same application?

Hi
    My tests were without TVengine!

I tried TVE3 many times over the last months but it does not work for me -due to persistent +2hr offset in the program guide- so I use MP standalone. If this bug was fixed in the last few weeks I will make the A and D tests with TVE3 too.

Lets say: I never got any indication anywhere (MP or Digital Everywhere) that I could not use both identical tuners in one application. I cannot remember though if there where such outspoken claims.
    Anyway I only tested my option D yesterday for the first time but this looks promising.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I was able to record two programs at once with the dvico dual 2 card (the dual model just before the 4 card).
    No problems there, but I ditched the card in the end anyway, because there were issues with resuming from standby since the cards were PCI but really USB based.

All I can suggest is to make certain that both cards are mapped to the right channels for record and play and then maybe try different driver versions?

deathnite

Portal Member
    August 26, 2007
    Home Country
    I was able to record two programs at once with the dvico dual 2 card (the dual model just before the 4 card).
    No problems there, but I ditched the card in the end anyway, because there were issues with resuming from standby since the cards were PCI but really USB based.

All I can suggest is to make certain that both cards are mapped to the right channels for record and play and then maybe try different driver versions?

What card did you end up going with??

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom