Dumb question from beginner (1 Viewer)

TrunX2k

April 16, 2014
Home Country
Austria Austria
Dear community!

I was looking for a software solution to get HDTV to my pc.
The MediaPortal Software is really amazing, i just dont understand a few things (i hope its not to dump to ask, i really dont know anything about that stuff)

To my setup:

Im from Austria, and i get my Internet and TV signal from UPC Austria (ISP).
In my livingroom and bedroom there are setopboxes where my digital tv singal (also hd) is encrypted and transfered to the TV`s via HDMI.

My questions:

1) if i implent a PCI TV card (like this http://www.amazon.de/TechniSat-SkyS...8&qid=1397639779&sr=8-1&keywords=tv+karte+bda) in my PC and connect the normal antenna, what signal do i get?

.) nothing?
.) only anloag tv?
.) digital tv?

2) How can i get digital tv to the pc? (Beacuse the digital signal is encryptet in the settop box of my ISP i think?)
3) Do i have to decrypt the digital signal in the PC itsselve? (without settop box from my isp)
4) Are there any TV cards who can decrypt the codes of the ISP`s?
4) How can i do that?

I think its not spossible this way.... otherwise nobody will ever order services from an ISP (internet service provider).

regards
Dominik

TrunX2k

April 16, 2014
Home Country
Austria Austria
Other question:

What solutions are possible to get HD content (live TV) to Media Portal?

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Hi there!
    Quick look at your provider's site told me that it provides cable television. Card you linked is satellite one so it is not for your case. You should look at DVB-C cards for digital cable and analog cable cards for analog cable channels. In case you need digital cable you have a problem here. Looks like your ISP using CI+ technology which could make watching it on PC practically impossible. Probably such solutions as unicam and deltacam could help but I'm not an expert in this. So for start you should ask your ISP if they are using CI+ or maybe there is someone on this forum with the same ISP who have info.

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    As Edalex wrote, you have to know what kind of signal you have. In your case it must be DVB-C (digital video broadcast - cable, not -S for satellite or -T for terrestrial, and not iP-TV for television over internet connection). You must buy a DVB-C tuner card.

I guess there are some free channels and some encrypted ones in your package. Maybe all are encrypted. If you want to watch encrypted ones, you need a tuner card with CI Module (common interface). This is a slot practically. Now the last thing you have to know, what encryption UPC austria uses. You need a CAM (conditional access module) that supports that encrypting algorhythm (nagra, conax, viaccess...). You need an additional Smartcard from upc austria (this defines the encryption algorhythm), put this into CAM, put this into the CI slot and you are ready to go.

This is quite expensive.... CI, CAM, additional card...

And now to CI+.... Some HD channels will be encrypted with HD+ method. There are no official supported way to use HD+ technology on PC. But there are some CAMs they can do that, like Unicam. Success is not guaranteed. They cost about 100€. I use unicam evo with sky germanfrom satellite and it works.

You have to do some research to get answers to these questions and afterwards do some calculations if you want to spend about 250-300 € on this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom