DVB-C subtitle and general quality? (1 Viewer)

Bjur

Portal Pro
May 24, 2007
I have a FloppyDTV card and have installed the new TVServer 3 with update th 22 june, but have two questions. Sorry if it have been asked before:

1. Does the new TVServer have DVB-C subtitle support, because I can't seem to get subtitles on Canal+ HD and Discovery HD.

2. I'm not generally satisfied with the PQ, and would like to know if it has something to do with my FloppyDTV perhaps the TVServer is not optimised for this card yet, or some wrong codec? I'm using Nvidia Purevideo to TV and ffdshow to audio.

Thanks for any answers:)

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    1. Does the new TVServer have DVB-C subtitle support, because I can't seem to get subtitles on Canal+ HD and Discovery HD.

Depends on the type of subtitles used and which player you use. Work is currently being done in this area. If you use VLC player you should be able to get at least DVB subtitles (but here in denmark most channels use teletext subtitles).

Otherwise there is already an alpha version of DVB subtitles, and im working on teletext subtitles (but im sort of busy at work right now, so progress is slow).

See these threads:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/teletext_subtitles-t22535.html
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/help_needed_dvb_subtitles-t5152.html

2. I'm not generally satisfied with the PQ, and would like to know if it has something to do with my FloppyDTV perhaps the TVServer is not optimised for this card yet, or some wrong codec? I'm using Nvidia Purevideo to TV and ffdshow to audio.

Dont blame the FloppyDTV! It is simply passing on the digital video stream exactly as it receives it (which is exactly as the broadcaster sent it, except for dropped frames etc). If the PQ is bad it is most likely related to either display adapter setup (colors / constrast / resolution, 1:1 pixelmapping etc) or codec (/codec settings)

Bjur

Portal Pro
    May 24, 2007
    Thanks for the answer. Didn't know VLC could be used for that. Have read the first link, and will try teletext file misterd have provided to see if it will help, I guess it's the same as the DVB subtitle version you are referring to?

Regarding the FloppyDTV, I'm just wondering why my TDC Sagem 60 box have a much more sharp picture than on my computer. I'm using HDMI for PC to TV and Scart from Sagem to TV. I haven't calibrated it all yet, but I don't think it will do wonders with the sharpness. My codec is as described above, is there a better video renderer than purevideo and can it have something to do with I'm outputting 720p?

1:1 pixelmapping could you please explain how I'm outputting it that way?

Thanks again very much for your help:)!

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Thanks for the answer. Didn't know VLC could be used for that. Have read the first link, and will try teletext file misterd have provided to see if it will help, I guess it's the same as the DVB subtitle version you are referring to?

Well, it depends on whether you need teletext subtitles or DVB subtitles.

Regarding the FloppyDTV, I'm just wondering why my TDC Sagem 60 box have a much more sharp picture than on my computer.

Well, it depends on what exactly you mean by sharpness. Multiple rescaling due to lack of 1:1 pixel mapping can make image look slightly fuzzy.

Take a look at this:
    http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/

Apart from that its very important that you calibrate white and black levels correctly, it has a rather huge impact on picture quality (though i wouldnt say it affects sharpness).

Finally, the picture settings might be different for the SCART input and the HDMI input, for example the sharpness might be set low on one and high on another. But thats just guessing.

Bjur

Portal Pro
    May 24, 2007
    Well I need the subtitle that will work:)
    The teletext I downloaded didn't work and I don't know why. Have looked in the setup but couldn't get it to work. Can you help here?

I have calibrated my PV60 using DVE and have adjusted light and RGB. Contrast was not possible.

Have tjecked your link, and my picture when it's 720p (1280 x 720) is a little outside the screen, so when I got it to fit, the resolution was something like 1280 x 676. Could it be, that it is not 1:1 pixel mapping now and that's the reason why the picture looks fuzzy?

I also have problems when I play a movie and afterwards go to TV the screen just freezes. Have you experienced that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom