[Pending] DVB-IP scanning improvements (1 Viewer)

AlexPlas

Portal Pro
August 24, 2006
Kyiv, Ukraine
Home Country
Ukraine Ukraine
Hi georgius

I almost decided to remove network interface (NI) selection from my patch :) Just few words in my defense.

I think NI selection is applicable to datagram based protocols (UDP, RTP) only. With stream based protocols like HTTP you establish connection and then you doesn't matter where is bound your local end of the socket, you will receive data anyway. In UDP and RTP your local end act as a kind of server and right binding is pretty important to receive data.

I think changing HTTP or any other new protocols (like KARTINA) undesirable, because it has complex structure and it's very hard to add something there and not break the URL. In contrast, UDP and RTP URLs have very simple format (unfortunately there is no standard), which can be easily parsed and recombined.

I have checked M3U files from the TuningParameters folder and there are few playlists where network interface addresses are already hardcoded in URLs. I think it is much worse than reasonable changing URLs during channels scanning. Users like just choose appropriate tuning parameters scan channels and watch it.

georgius

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2010
    Bratislava
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    I still think that you have interesting idea with specifying network interface. There can be users with more than one network interface in their PC and I think that they can use this option (especially these using UDP and RTP protocol). If you have hardcoded IP address of interface in your playlist and your provider change your IP (via DHCP), channels will stop working and you'll have to re-scan with different settings (probably you'll need to rewrite playlist and re-scan).

As I wrote in previous post, you don't have to change url from playlist. You just format url from playlist to "connection string" (I don't have now better phrase for this). I know that this is breaking change and every filter which doesn't support "connection string" will not work.

AlexPlas

Portal Pro
    August 24, 2006
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    What is the reason why I haven't change URLs for UDP and RTP protocols? I think about it like about DiSEqC parameters for satellite receiving. User has to setup something which cannot be specified in common tuning parameters, because it does depend on user's hardware configurations. There are additional fields for DVB-S channels, we can add such additional filed for DVB-IP channels, but I think it's unnecessary.

Let's parse UDP URL structure. There are only four possible elements - protocol, binding address (optional), multicast address and port. I think that URLs in tuning parameters must not contain binding address, because it's make it specific for only one user and unusable as a result. So, my change of URL its only addition of one parameter which is always absent in original URL. Anyway I translate one valid URL into another valid URL, which is conforming to standard (unofficial for now).

georgius

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2010
    Bratislava
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    Hi, simple reason why not to change URL in UDP and RTP protocols is that when you have address in form udp://1.2.3.4@233.62.10.1:1234 then part 1.2.3.4 is called source specific address. If you have address as udp://@233.62.10.1:1234 you have any source address. Source specific addresses are used when you want to receive multicast packets originating from specified source (that's why is called source specific address). So, this part which you think is binding address is source specifing address.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    hi alex,
    i know it's based on last SVN repo.
    and i think since 2011, lot of changes was made on MePo code.
    but before you try to create a new one, wait if can be approved. ( at least for evaluation )

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    These are almost all new features I want for iptv except playlist url periodical redownloading and parsing xmltv/jtv data placed in such playlists

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom