DVB-S2 pci card H.264 Decoding? (1 Viewer)

andy_328

Portal Pro
November 19, 2014
Home Country
Austria Austria
Hi at all, I am new here, and I have already my first question. I would like to create my own HTPC which I will use for a storage server as well.

I have found this TV card. I need a CI and DVB-S2 for HD
http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs6928se-dvb-s2-tv-tuner-ci-pcie-card.html

I will use an Intel i5 or i3 CPU with HD Graphics 3000. I am confused about hardware decoding, as the Intel GPU unit should do as native (H.264). But how about the TV PCI cards. Does each DVD-S2 card H.264 decoding onboard? or does the MediaPortal doing all this work like software decoding.

Or maybe should I use an other TV card?

thanks, great forum..)
bye

Vasilich

Portal Pro
August 30, 2009
Germany, Mayence
Home Country
Russian Federation Russian Federation
DVB cards deliver only MPEG streams, none of them decode it. Mediaportal relies on installed in WIndows decoders. Whether these decoders use hardware acceleration or not - it really depends on decoder. MP uses LAV filter as default decoders. Those can use DXVA2 decoding from graphic cards (on Windows Vista and above), software decoding (available for all), and for Intel - QS decoder. So try first with GraphStudioNext any stream/video sample encoded with h.264, and try to use LAV filters - then you will see if your system capable of decoding it.

andy_328

Portal Pro
November 19, 2014
Home Country
Austria Austria
Hello and thanks for your quick reply.

Ok, means the TV card deosn't mind about decoding. So each TV card would work fine. In the worse case I have to install a PCI VGA card if the intel HD Graphics doesn't work fine. Is that right?

thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ok, means the TV card deosn't mind about decoding.
    Yes, correct.

So each TV card would work fine.
    Yes - as long as it can receive the signals that you want to receive (for example, a DVB-S tuner can't receive DVB-S2 signals - only a DVB-S2 tuner can do that) and the tuner is supported in the software that you want to use. For TV Server, the tuner compatibility discussion is here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/13_Setup_Guides/2_TV_Setup/0_TV_Card_Features

If you read that page you'll see that CI support for TBS cards requires a patch.

In the worse case I have to install a PCI VGA card if the intel HD Graphics doesn't work fine.
    VGA cards (normally called "GPU" or "video card" or "graphics card") are usually PCIe (PCI Express), not PCI. Aside from that, this is correct.

andy_328

Portal Pro
    November 19, 2014
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Thanks both of you.

I have already seen this post, and therefore I decided to use the TBS 6928SE, with this patch. As the card and the patch are a bit older, does the card even works with MP2?

My worries at the beginning was, if the GPU unit on an Intel i3 or i5 put out a good images on an 46" TV over HDMI, or if I need an expansiv GPU card because even a Mainstream card isnt enough. I do not play any games on it, all I want is to have a good quality on the TV, even when I play a BlueRay disk.

I am sorry this is my first project with dvb-s cards TV and so on.

bye

elia

January 19, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hi all
    i ask you if its possible to use apctv system dvb-s2 461e usb stick to watch tv channels includ sports on mediaportal,
    please help, do i need somthing to download new software? if yes what do i have to do ? sorrey my english is not good.
    thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom