[no Bug] DVB-T Channel Scan unable to detect any channels (1 Viewer)

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MediaPortal Version: 1.2.0.0 Beta
    MediaPortal Skin: Streamed MP
    Windows Version: XP SP3
    CPU Type: Intel E7400
    HDD: 700 GB on 2 drives (3 volumes) locally with 1GB FreeNAS
    Memory: 2 GB DDR2
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP41-UD3L
    Video Card: NVIDIA 9400GT
    Video Card Driver: NVIDIA 195.81
    Sound Card: Onboard REALTEK
    Sound Card AC3: SPDIF Optical Out
    Sound Card Driver: Latest
    1. TV Card: Pinnacle 300i
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    1. TV Card Driver: Latest
    2. TV Card: Compro Videomate S350
    2. TV Card Type: DVB-S
    2. TV Card Driver: Latest
    3. TV Card: Hauppague WinTV HD S2
    3. TV Card Type: DVB-S2
    3. TV Card Driver: Latest
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink 10
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
    h.264 Video Codec: Cyberlink 10
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: UK Freesat
    HTPC Case: Bog standard PC case with wires running through the wall to lounge
    Cooling:
    Power Supply:
    Remote: Cyberlink cheapo
    TV: LG 47LE5300 LCD LED
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

I am having problems running DVB-T channel scans since MP1.2 beta installation.

After the upgrade to MP1.2 I noticed that some of my DVB-T channels were not working correctly. We have recently gone through analogue switch-off (Sandy Heath transmitter in the UK) so I thought I would delete all channels (both DVB-S, DVD-S2 and DVB-T) and do a full re-tune and combine (to go with the new 1.2 installation).

DVB-S and DVB-S2 scan worked perfectly, however DVB-T did not work and it reports "No Signal" or "Nothing Found". During the scan the signal quality and Signal level bars show green from time to time. I have tried an "All Regions" scan too incase the xml is not up to date since digital switchover, but the results are the same (it just takes much longer).

I have uninstalled the DVB-T drivers and then reinstalled them, however this still does not fix the problem and the results are the same.

Clean TV Server Logs attached (a couple of scans which which I ran, then cancelled after a couple of minutes data gathering) - please let me know if you want more details or longer logs.

Other quick question - How do you set the layout to default. If I select coverflow in music, if I exit MP and then re-start MP, it has defaulted to small icons again.

Thanks

P.S. 1.2 is looking awesome!!!

Attachments

• DVB-T Tuning Problem.rar
      8.3 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi robbo100

This is a bit of a strange one. The tuner appears to lock on some of the frequencies, but it never finds any channels. Is strength of 23 and quality of 42 typical of what you had before? It would be useful to see the graph building logging. Can you:

1. Stop TV Server.
    2. Clear your logs.
    3. Start TV Server.
    4. Attempt to do a manual scan on one frequency (any one would do).
    5. Post the logs.

I know new tuning parameters for Sandy Heath were posted, but I'm not sure if they made it into 1.2.0b. Might pay to update your frequency list too...

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Thanks mm1352000

I followed your instructions (tuning the first frequency in the new Sandy Heath xml (thanks also for the link by the way - it is newer than the supplied version so might be worth including in MP1.2 final).

Logs from single frequency scan are in attached.

Robbo100

Attachments

• Single Frequency Scan after TVService Restart.rar
      6.1 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again Robbo100

The graph setup looks okay to me. I'm aware that the UK uses 167kHz offsets on their frequencies, so did you try scanning 473833 and 474167 kHz too? Have you tried other software like ScanChannelsBDA_UK?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Sandy Heath was updated for DSO
    WebSVN - MediaPortal - Rev 27792 - /
    but comparing this to
    Freeview on Sandy Heath TV transmitter | ukfree.tv - independent free digital TV advice
    they do not quite match.

The original post would give reason to this
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-dvb-t-2-tuning-details-sandy-heath-uk-95262/

but could you check and possibly provide a correct tuning detail (Submit: EPG-Grabbers and tuningdetails - MediaPortal Forum) if this is not right??

I am not sure the tuning details are wrong but is worth double checking

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    It is definitely worth scanning on 'all regions' to make sure you get the channels.

Mark

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It is definitely worth scanning on 'all regions' to make sure you get the channels.

Mark

Hi Mark

Robbo did say he did that in the first post. Like jameson_uk I'm now wondering if the frequency list is correct. The first set of logs really are strange - I've never seen anything like it before...

mm

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    All,

I was worried that it might have been something as simple as a problem with my aerial, but I have tested all the cables (using the basic tuner built into my TV to prove they were all working end to end) and the signal is fine and channels were found immediately.

I tried ScanChannelsBDA_UK but it didn't find anything using single frequency scan (I stopped TVService before I ran the scan).

Logs attached for ScanChannelsBDA_UK and also a fresh all regions scan from end to end.

This to me suggests it is a problem with the card or the driver (rather than MP), but it seems odd that things went wrong during the MP1.2 update.

I was thinking of removing the PCI card from the computer, clearing the drivers from the computer, putting the PCI card back into the computer, installing the drivers and trying again. Does anyone know of any software useful for clearing out unused drivers that I could use (I don't have a spare PCI slot and I don't want to start mucking about with the working DVB-S cards)?? Would this be useful or do people think the problem may be due to MP?

Thanks

Robbo100

Attachments

• full scan.rar
      24.7 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again robbo100

It could be a hardware problem, but I think it is unlikely. The latest logs show that the tuner is again locking to frequencies but no channels are found...

1. Do you have any software that you know that the tuner used to work in? If so, I'd try to see if it still works in that software.
    2. Are you able to check whether plugging "directly" into the aerial (no splitters) would make any difference? Ideally you'd be able to test using your TV connection.
    3. Ensure the scanning frequencies are correct.

There are also a range of settings that we could try to tweak in TV Server configuration:
    1. Increase your scan times in TV Server configuration under "general"->"scan" tab. Most important ones would be "tune" and "PAT".
    2. Use "stop graph" mode instead of "pause graph". You'll find that in the tuner settings if you go to your tuner list then click "edit".

Finally there would be the option to uninstall (complete) and reinstall 1.2.0b. If things still didn't work after trying all of the above then I'd be starting with clearing drivers, changing PCI slots etc.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    1. Do you have any software that you know that the tuner used to work in? If so, I'd try to see if it still works in that software.

I have used solely MediaPortal as the sole programme for years, so I don't have any other software. MP has worked perfectly up until now.

2. Are you able to check whether plugging "directly" into the aerial (no splitters) would make any difference? Ideally you'd be able to test using your TV connection.

I have taken the cable that plugged it into my TV (which tunes to channels as described above) and plugged it into the DVB-T card, but it does not find any channels during the MP scan.

3. Ensure the scanning frequencies are correct.

I presume that if I am doing an "all regions" scan, then this should find something?

There are also a range of settings that we could try to tweak in TV Server configuration:
    1. Increase your scan times in TV Server configuration under "general"->"scan" tab. Most important ones would be "tune" and "PAT".
    2. Use "stop graph" mode instead of "pause graph". You'll find that in the tuner settings if you go to your tuner list then click "edit".

I will try these as soon as I can (I am recording a film for the kids and there will be hell to pay if the TV Service restarts mid-recording :D)

Finally there would be the option to uninstall (complete) and reinstall 1.2.0b.
    :eek: :D

I can not find this option in the card edit option!

I have tried changing the scan times (increased them by 3 times their default value), but still no luck.

It may be other information, I think that before I deleted all the channels prior to the retune problem, I am fairly sure that that MediaPortal reported "Channel not Available / No PMT Found" - could it be linked to this problem - https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...540/channel-not-available-no-pmt-found-95854/ ?

Robbo100

P.S I will try a full uninstall/reinstall in the next day or two when I get time, but if anyone has any other tips or things to try then please keep them coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom