DVD playback broken (1 Viewer)

tatus

Portal Pro
March 12, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Unfortunately there are lot of DVD drives that seem to be incompatible with the speed control that MP provides. As a workaround its easy to use some other 3rd party speed contol utility.

As it seems that this is an issue that should be easy to reproduce by you developers, is there any chance to get it fixed? There must be a way to fix it because other players like WMP, Power/WinDVD do not have this problem.

To my opinion, this is a core feature since MP is intended for use in HTPC's like mine; I have spent a lot of effort in making it virtually inaudible :) I really hope it can be fixed in the future. I consider "not a bug" status of this issue as incorrect.

The reason why I try to bring up this issue again is not that it annoys me more than before, but the fact that with 1.0 RC1 MediaPortal is extremely close to perfect with my setup. Everything works like a charm, I did not have a single TV crash since I installed it (TVE3), EPG is perfect, even standby/resume finally works for client and server processes. Thanks for all your great effort in this huge scale software project! I am an experienced programmer as well and can estimate the amount of necessary work, and I really am impressed! Those guys at Microsoft have something to learn from you :) This DVD playback issue is really the last remaining important item for my HTPC...

I will try to use a 3rd party tool though, but the situation here is a bit more complicated as I use Standby mode and, for example, Nero DriveSpeed does not catch resume events to reprogram the drives.

Regards
Frank

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I will try to use a 3rd party tool though, but the situation here is a bit more complicated as I use Standby mode and, for example, Nero DriveSpeed does not catch resume events to reprogram the drives.

AnyDVD has been working here without any single issues related to the DVD speed control. What comes to the MP's internal speed control I think its done by the BASS library (my memory could be doing its tricks). If its a bug in BASS then there isnt anything MP devs can do.

tatus

Portal Pro
    March 12, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the tip tourettes. The problem though is that AnyDVD is banned in Germany and the use of it is prosecuted... Checking whether it is a bug in the BASS library should be easy. If so, then other players like WMP will also fail while MP is active. I have never experienced this so far, but did not test this case explicitly.

Regards
    Frank

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I think there are ways to run a bat-file om resume that restarts (and kills if desired) 3.party applications like Nero DriveSpeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom