DVD player & new TV engine (1 Viewer)

wewe

Portal Pro
August 3, 2005
Herxheim
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi all,

I am still (0.2.1.0) not able to play DVD's with MP's inbuild player (MP stalls completely oder the navigation does not work ... as discussed by many people half a year ago).

Is there something in the new TV engine for me? (Probably not because producing the TV picture is a different business than replayin' DVD's :( )

Is there any news regarding the inbuild DVD player?

I am using VLC as external player which causes that I con not use "exclusive directxW which causes that I am having some quality problems in general.

thanks&regards
WeWe

davej00

Portal Pro
March 22, 2006
UK
I can't answer for the TVserver features, but I have found a workaround for the navigation issue.

What I have found is the navigation works -- its just :( that the DVD menu navigation "cursor" does not move.

For example, say the menu displays play, scene selection & theatrical trailer...I press the down arrow on the MCE controller twice [in my imagination the cursor moves over scene selection to theatrical trailer]. Now I press OK, and voila -- the trailer plays. Not the best thing in the world -- but it means the DVDs work for me in MP !!

Enjoy !

- Dave

wewe

Portal Pro
August 3, 2005
Herxheim
Home Country
Germany Germany
If I would tell my wife that she simply has to imagine that the cursor moves down she would tell me that I can imagine from now on how it would be to use MP instead of a regular TV.

And: the navigation thing is only 50% of the problem. The other 50% is that MP simly stalls completely.

thanks+regards
WeWe

Olodin

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2004
    What I have found is the navigation works -- its just :( that the DVD menu navigation "cursor" does not move.

With this workaround I'm using MediaPortal for 1,5 years now. I've tried many codecs but still the same. It wasn't even better when I was using WinDVD.

But what I've found is, that it is DVD dependant. With some it works and the menu navigation is shown, with some not. Do you also have some DVD where the actual navigation is shown?

Don't get me wrong: watching DVD is no problem at all and makes a lot of fun with MP!

zombiepig

Portal Pro
    March 21, 2005
    Melb, Aus
    Home Country
    But what I've found is, that it is DVD dependant. With some it works and the menu navigation is shown, with some not. Do you also have some DVD where the actual navigation is shown?

in my experience the difference is in the menu format - if it's an animated menu, it'll work fine. if it's just a single frame stationary menu, you get no cursor.

Olodin

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2004
    in my experience the difference is in the menu format - if it's an animated menu, it'll work fine. if it's just a single frame stationary menu, you get no cursor.

This sounds interesting. Is there any way to find out what type of menu a DVD uses? Maybe does the mediaportal log file tell sth about it?

Also if it is a problem with different menu types I would call this a bug. The built in dvd navigator should at least fully work when using the provided mpeg codecs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom