[no Bug] DVD subtitles mal-rendered with VMR9 (1 Viewer)

omerfarukozer

Portal Member
April 4, 2010
Home Country
Turkey Turkey
When a DVD with subtitles is played with VMR9 as video renderer subtitles are displayed wrongly. Sometimes the colors are wrong, sometimes the outline of characters are displayed wrong.

I have attached 4 screenshots 2 of them are taken with VMR9 and others are taken with EVR. Subtitles are displayed fine when EVR is selected.

To reproduce the problem:
1. Choose VMR9 for Video Renderer in MP Configuration > Codecs and Renderer.
2. Play a DVD with subtitles

Attachments

• sub1 VMR9.JPG
    sub1 VMR9.JPG
    32.9 KB
  • sub1 EVR.JPG
    sub1 EVR.JPG
    33.4 KB
  • sub2 VMR9.JPG
    sub2 VMR9.JPG
    29.2 KB
  • sub2 EVR.JPG
    sub2 EVR.JPG
    29 KB

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Probably not a bug in MediaPortal, since MPEG2 decoder is handling the subtitle decoding and EVR mixer (MS component) is handling the subtitle mixing to the video surface.

omerfarukozer

Portal Member
    April 4, 2010
    Home Country
    Turkey Turkey
    How can I test this outside the MediaPortal?

When I play the DVD with Windows Media Player everything works just fine. Both video and audio are decoded with NVIDIA. I have attached the screen capture. As you can see subs are OK and NVIDIA is using VMR9.

Attachments

• nvidia.JPG
      nvidia.JPG
      69.5 KB

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

When I play the DVD with Windows Media Player everything works just fine. Both video and audio are decoded with NVIDIA. I have attached the screen capture. As you can see subs are OK and NVIDIA is using VMR9.

Which OS are you using?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Okay, you are using XP, so you should be using VMR9 as renderer.

You need to provide complete logs. You entire MediaPortal.log consists of

Code:
    2010-07-04 09:42:07.765625 [Warn.][MPMain(1)]: GraphicContext: NO screen calibration file found for resolution 800x600!
    2010-07-04 09:42:11.328125 [Warn.][MPMain(1)]: GraphicContext: NO screen calibration file found for resolution 800x600!

Mark

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

You can manually build the Directshow graph with GraphEdit.

At first I would recommend you to try some other MPEG2 decoder. NVidia's MPEG2 decoder has been not supported by NVidia itself for many years. Not sure why it would fail with MP in the way you are describing, but using a deprecated codec is not recommended.

omerfarukozer

Portal Member
    April 4, 2010
    Home Country
    Turkey Turkey
    I have generated the logs with MP Debug. I will check the log verbosity and post new logs.

I remember trying ffdshow. It did not solve my problem. Tonight I will give it another try and post the results. Is there a recommended codec for DVD playback?

One last question: altough I have filled my computer specs they are not added my posts. Do you know why?

omerfarukozer

Portal Member
    April 4, 2010
    Home Country
    Turkey Turkey
    The problem was NVIDIA codecs. I have changed DVD codecs to MPC and now subs are fine.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Thanks for reporting back & nice it is just a codecs issue, i've now set it to no bug :)

Regards
    Roy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom