Codecs DVDs panning really bad (jitter/judder?) best MPEG2 codec ? (1 Viewer)

savaino

Portal Member
November 13, 2006
Hi,
When watching DVD (ripped to local SATA hard drive in native VOB format with no alteration) during scene panning the video stutters and playback in general is not as smooth as it should be and after a lot of tests/tries I'm out of ideas. My AVCHD in mp4 format home videos in full 1080i play smoothly as butter same for a bluray rip.....(in original m2ts format) here my configuration:

HW:
CPU: AMD BE2350
Video: ATI: 3450
MB: ASUS M2A-VM 4GB RAM

SW:
XP-SP3 32bit
Mediaportal 1.02
Codecs: Cyberlink PDVD8 hardware accelerated for both h264
ATI 9.6 driver

HW acceleration works very well for the AVCH files: both CPU and GPU load is quite low (<20%)
With MPEG-2 DVD files (VOBs) the GPU load goes up to 60% while CPU is around 40% not sure why as load it should be even lower than h264 decoding ?

Using (shift-1) I can see that for h264 dropped frames are basically 0 and jitter is also >5.
For DVD dropped frames are in the hundreds and reported jitter is around 20 or more.

I was almost going to update the entire system (CPU and GPU) but after seeing the HD content playing fine I'm not sure at this point if there is any other setting I need to play with....de-interlacing maybe ?

Any suggestion on best MPEG2 decoder ? Preferably with hardware acceleration ?
I tried SAF but HD is unwatchable and DVD quality did not change much. I disabled AMD Cool & Quit too.
Any help on what to look next will be greatly appreciated as anyone willing to share any similar experience!
--sav

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Check graphstudio when playing DVD under MP if cyberlink decoder is realy in use, make sure you have any "on-the-fly" DVD decoder installed.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The MPEG-2 CPU load will be higher because more of the decoding is done by the CPU - with H.264 most of the decoding is done by the GPU (in a dedicated hardware block, so it doesn't show up as GPU load). That said, your numbers look high for SD MPEG-2....

Tony

(You shouldn't need to tweak anything, but just in case there's a lot of stuff on tweaking ATi drivers etc on Home Theater Computers - AVS Forum - e.g. ATI Radeon HD 2X00 (2400,2600,2900) series owners thread - Page 68 - AVS Forum - but some of this is out of date with current drivers.)

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Honestly, i newer have need to tweak anything.
    I an using Cybrerlink MPEG2 decoder (SAF) and on my HD3200, 4550 and 4770 newer have problem with it (LiveTV & DVD)

Most common problems are
    -wrong GPU drivers (crashing,BSOD,freezes) - try Catalyst 9.4, i can confirm they are working OK
    -codec mess
    -selected decoder is not in use
    -EVR selected in XP
    -bad mpeg splitter
    -Cyberlink decoder not configured corectly (WMR9 not enabled)
    -GPU owerheating (crashing,BSOD,freezes)3
    -using subtitles + slow CPU (h.264 video only) - subtitles kill DXVA, fixed in MP 1.1.0 ALPHA

savaino

Portal Member
    November 13, 2006
    HI thanks for the feedbacks
    I checked with graphstudio and the cyberlink codec is indeed used while the DVD movie is playing.
    It does not seem to be a difference if I enable subtitles or not (when playing DVD with embedded subtitles, does DVXA still works ? I understand it does not when you use an additional subtitle filter when playing for example avi+srt).
    I'll remove all the codecs (k-lite, pdvd) and install SAF+pdvd8 codec again and see how it goes.
    Any additional input/comment is welcome.
    --sav

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom