Codecs Dynamic Refresh Rate - Whats the best refresh rate for mpeg4 video (23.97fps)? (1 Viewer)

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
Ive been using the Dynamic Refresh Rate tool in MPconfig but cant quite get rid of a slight judder when watching HD video.

SD (mpeg2, dvd's and TV) is working flawlessly, but i just cannot get the mpeg4 24fps stuff to work as well.

My TV is a Samsung PS42Q97 720p 42" plasma, which has input video formats of 480p, 720p, 1080i, 480i, 576i and 576, and i have tried pretty much every refresh rate value for the CINEMA field in the config (i first tried multiples of 50Hz, then i tried multiples of 24Hz, and i even went so far as trying every incrememental value between 25 and 60Hz!).

Can anyone tell me what the best value might be?

TIA :)

legnod

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 24, 2011
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Have you enabled "vertical sync" inside your driver menu? If not...set vertical sync to "always wait for vertical refresh" and try it again...is it just on 24hz videos?

Last edited:

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Have you enabled "vertical sync" inside your driver menu? If not...set vertical sync to "always wait for vertical refresh" and try it again...is it just on 24hz videos?

Thanks, yes its just 24Hz content. 25Hz/50Hz Mpeg2 video is very smooth.

Is that option in the codec config (in my case ffdshow DXVA)? I think i tried that, but will have to double check tonight. Not sure it will help though because i tried a few different codecs (divX HD, LAV etc) but i still had the same stuttering.

legnod

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 24, 2011
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thats not codec related...its a setting inside your graphic card driver (Catalyst Control Center for ATI) it should be under "3d settings"

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    To get back to your initial question. The best refresh rate for your 24p materials would be 23Hz, which in reality would be 23.976Hz (windows just shows it as 23). As your tv seems to be quiet old i doubt that it supports 23/24 hz. So you now have the option to use 59Hz and 3:2 pulldown (there should be an option for that in your graphics card driver), or you use 50hz and play your material with 25fps using the mediaportal audio renderer.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Hmm, some good tips there Lightning, thanks. Youre right, my tv is a few years old now and doesnt have 24p support. I read somewhere that 59Hz was the frequency for pulldown, and consequently tried that framerate (which didnt really help) but i didnt enable the pulldown option in my gfx card config, so ill give that a try.

Will any of these changes affect my mpeg2 video playback seeing as ill be changing graphics card options rather than individual codec settings? I dont really want to rock the boat with my 25Hz media as its running very well.

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    25fps material should not be affacted by this change. However as i dont have this problem, i cant tell you for sure. Try it out :). I would however suggest to try the other option with the mediaportal audio renderer. It will speed up the video and adjust your sound propperly to 25fps, and will give you the smoothest playback possible on your setup.
    I suggest trying both and then decide what you like best :)
    Good luck.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Great thanks, so for the audio renderer option do you mean adjust my dynamic refresh to 50hz for video in mpconfig, and then change my audio refresh rate to 25hz? I Haven't touched the audio renderer options before so this is new to me.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    OK, so I've had a bit more of a play around. I firstly had a go at the pulldown method and it Looks like that option was already ticked, tho there were 2 different types - vector & motion, I tried both at 59fps in dynamic refresh rate changer but it didn't seem to make much difference as I still had a slightly jerky picture every second or so.

I then tried to play around with the other method but I couldn't figure out how you change the audio renderer settings. I currently have 'default directsound device' as my audio renderer in mpconfig, but I can't figure out how I alter it's settings?

Thanks for the help so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom