Easy way to change sound output (1 Viewer)

Sohvaperuna

Portal Pro
January 29, 2008
Hi,

Is there an easy way to change sound output from MediaPortal?

Use case:
When kids are watching TV, they would select HDMI output (which goes to TV) and then they would not need to play around
with A/V receiver.
And then when I am watching, I want to use A/V.

Does not matter if it is built in or plugin, is this possible?

Br,
Sohvaperuna

Sohvaperuna

Portal Pro
January 29, 2008
Thanks!

Did not try but what I read, this does not have UI and MP must be restarted? So you will for example lose timeshift..

If there is a MP developer around, I would like to know if it is possible to change audio device on fly?
I could try to do the change as a plugin or directly to MP.

Br,
Sohvaperuna

netexplorer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Easy way to change sound output

On the fly changing the audio device is not possible now. You allways have to stop playing any media. Maybe Windows 7 is capable to do that, but i don't know which dependency is necessary. A UI is not necessary, because you should use a button on your remote to change the device. You can configure the script, to restart MP, so you don't have to anything.

Sohvaperuna

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2008
    Re: AW: Easy way to change sound output

On the fly changing the audio device is not possible now. You allways have to stop playing any media. Maybe Windows 7 is capable to do that, but i don't know which dependency is necessary. A UI is not necessary, because you should use a button on your remote to change the device. You can configure the script, to restart MP, so you don't have to anything.

Yes, but would it be possible if modifications would be done to MediaPortal. Or does it require big changes to MediaPortal to get this working? Thats why I would like to get opinion from a developer who knows details about MP.

Reserving a button from remote is not possible for me ATM, also working without even a simple UI does not sound wife/kid friendly. :)

It would be perfect if audio device could be changed same way as subtitles or audio source when watching live TV. And it would change audio device right away without need for restart.

- Sohvaperuna

Wizzing

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 5, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Mmm I think this is very difficult to realize.

For example I use 2 output devices in Windows 7 : USB Logitec speakers and USB Creative (gaming) headset. USB devices use their own integrated soundcards so this is the same principle. When I play in winamp/mediacenter or whatever, I change the output windows keeps using the first selected one... untill I restart the program that is using the sound. So I can be done.. but when you make the switch there can't be any audio output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom