Ebook Reader/ PDF Reader? (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Hey guys while working with this program i was installing some of my pictures and noticed i had some comics in PDF format...you guys ever thinking about implementing a PDF reader or somthing? (MyBooks) maybe? that way we can read on the tv (sounds like an oximoron) while listening to our music ...i mean books are media too yes?

Dordo

Portal Pro
December 3, 2004
Im quite a big ebook reader too myself. I am somewhat skeptical as to if reading from the tv will be such a brilliant idea but none the less I think it would still be a really nice feature.

JestriK

Portal Member
August 10, 2006
Southsea, UK
Hey guys,

I'm farily new to MP - I've been using it for a few weeks now - I LOVE it!!

Anyway, I'm a C# developer and thinking of developing a simple "My eBooks" plugin.

I'll start tonight but just wondered if anyone had any ideas of the GUI layout, possible features etc etc.

Any ideas please list them!

Cheers,
JestriK

Elconejo

Portal Pro
May 9, 2005
Belgium
It should be zoomable.

I was thinking on a "Navigate" button that when you click it you can scroll in the pdf with the cursor keys (up-down and left-right) and zoom in/uit with the Channel UP/Down button or use a separate zoom in/out button and use the channel Up/Down keys to go to the next/previeus page. The return or OK button exits the "Navigate" mode.

If you could do this with a smooth scrolling it would be awesome.

_man_

Portal Member
June 20, 2005
Paris
I like a lot CDisplay to read ebooks. For ideas it may be a good starting point.

http://www.geocities.com/davidayton/CDisplay

Features:

Loads JPEG, PNG and static GIF images which are automatically ordered and presented for viewing one at a time or two at a time.

The images may be in a zip, rar, ace or tar archive file - no need to decompress before reading.

Page through the images sequentially and scroll around pages with single key presses.

Automatic page sizing: none; fit to screen, fit to width of screen, fit to width of screen if oversized, display at specific height, or display two pages. Resizing uses Lanczos interpolation for best picture quality.

Automatic colour balance and yellow reduction if desired.

No bloat caused by non-essential general purpose image processing features.

For the GUI it may be very close to the My Movies one.

JestriK

Portal Member
August 10, 2006
Southsea, UK
Thanks both of you for your ideas - just had a quick look at CDisplay and I agree it should be along those lines.

I also agree that it should have similar layout to my movies, and also make it possible to change the layout, e.g. list, thumbnails, etc etc.

Keep the ideas flowing :)

BugsBunny

Portal Pro
April 22, 2006
Tirol
Home Country
Austria Austria
Hi JestriK!
Great that you're going to develop an eBook Plug-In!
As soon as I get a big LCD TV Screen this Plug-In will be very useful.
I've eBooks in .pdf .doc (MS Word) and .txt format.

It useful if the plug-in would not only support .pdf but .doc/.rtf and .txt formats as well.

yed

March 12, 2007
Home Country
Turkey Turkey
Hi!
im new to MP too. its really very complex.

iam c# developer. and ebook archiever (10k+ books). so iam thinking writing a plug in which has full-text indexing service with pdf,CHM,LIT, txt, office formats etc. viewer. maybe book details from amazon.
coming soon.

BugsBunny

Portal Pro
April 22, 2006
Tirol
Home Country
Austria Austria
Hi yed!
Great to hear that you are planning to develop an EBook Plugin for Media Portal! :)
Just out of curiosity are you planning to rely on an installed Adobe Reader or are you thinking in using something like the open source Xpdf?
http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/index.html

waqas

March 16, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Love Media Portal. I would love it even more to be able to use my 60" HDTV to read comics from my PC.

Standard format is JPG files compressed with RAR or winzip and renamed to .cbr or .cbz. Standalone viewer: http://www.sketchyorigins.com/comics...read.php?t=424

Would be very very cool to get this as a plugin for media portal for remote controlled comic reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom