[Finished] EDL and other Commercial Skipping Support (1 Viewer)

poggin

Portal Member
June 1, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have searched around a bit but not found anything regarding MP2. I'd like to apologize if I have overlooked this, which I probably have since I find it strange there is no mention of it.

Does anyone know if MP2 will have the native ability to read EDL type files? Edl, vprj, txt and xml are the ones I know of but possibly any others. I know with MP1 that it can read comskip files but that is about it(though I could be wrong there as well but haven't seen anything). I know with other media center open source programs (no idea if I'm allowed to give names) they have the ability to ready any of the above mentioned files and not just from comskip.

Also, will there be some sort of embedded commercial skipping support like MP1 at all? Something that is integrated into MP2 or is this going to be totally left up to the plugin people?

I apologize if this has been brought up and I'm echoing someone else, if so then simple link to the forum post would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi poggin,

Currently non of these things are implemented, nor it is not being on the roadmap or planned by the MP2 development team.
    But ones we have the TV fully integrated and got it stable, this might change.

Generally speaking almost everything in MP2 is plugin, no matter if it is developed by the team or by a community plugin dev. So a good technical design is very important in both cases. If a commercial skipping feature is being implemented, it should be developed to easily extend the providers of those skip infos, like comskip, edl, etc.

Cheers,
    Tommy

david_31262

Portal Member
    September 21, 2015
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I haven't been able to find much on MP2 and commercial skipping.

Just installed MP2 (Summer '15 Update 1) with my freshly installed Windows 10 machine (using the included TVE3.0).

I don't see any sign of commercial skipping (comskip support). Maybe I'm missing something, or there's an add-in I need.

I've gotten really spoiled by the commercial skipping from MP1. Maybe I can just install the MP1 client for now
    and have it import the database.

Andrew Warren

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 9, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Just thought I'd lend my support to this feature - it's a must-have for me.

I recently tried upgrading to MP2 but after trying to figure out why comskip wasn't working, discovered it's just not supported. I uninstalled MP2 and reverted to MP1.

I like the idea of MP2's modular architecture, and I get that since commercial skipping is not going to be part of the core code you might not care too much about it, but I'd suggest this should be considered as a team-developed plugin forming part of the base install. After all, the functionality exists in MP1 already; losing it in MP2 seems like a backward step. Anyone upgrading from MP1 to MP2 potentially has loads of comskip-processed video files that they would be wanting to be handled properly in MP2. Don't forget too that MP1 also includes the ability to automatically skip ads when comskip data is available (i.e. no need to press chapter skip buttons) - this is an important part of the functionality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom