Operating System eeeTop 1602 on Windows7 -> Experience I made (1 Viewer)

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi all,
    Today I would like to share some knowlegde and experience I gained during the last two days.
    What I did was upgrading (clean install) my eeeTop 1602 All-in one Touch MP Client from XP SP3 to Win7 Ultimate N.
    Why did I do that? Mainly because Win7 was told to be really stable, fast and because of the additional Touch-features.

Some of you might already see I used Win7 UltimateN, a version without MC or WMP12, not because I wanted it but by mistake, simply because I did not know the difference between Ultimate and Ultimate N.

So what I did was copied the installation files of win7 to a Memory-Card and started the installation right out of WinXP.

For there is no real upgrade path from XP to win7, I decided to a clean install everything actually because there is nothing running on this box except my MP Client.

Everything went smoothly and after about 30 minutes my Win7 was up and running.
    -Put in my WPA-Wlan Key, for Internet access

-Now I looked at the Hardware-Drivers and found that one hardware device was not found.
    >Quickly had a look at the "problem center" of Win7, clicked "solve Problem" and Win7 installed the correct driver after looking for it in the web. (it was some IHC thingy....)

Everything seemed to work except my microphone and the volume buttons on the case.

There are no correct Asus drivers for Win7 (yet?), so I installed the Realtek drivers for the soundcard from the Realtek site.
    -> Mic is now working.

The buttons on the case are still not working so I tried to install the Asus Tool (Touch-Panel Driver), which actually is only available for WinXP.
    So I used the compatiblitity mode for WinXP (right click on the Setup, chose WinXP SP3 compatibility)-> Installed like a charm.
    .> Buttons are now working correctly, and also a little "feature" -> double click on touchpanel is now working great again.

- Next is the installation of MP-> here 1.02 because my Server and other clients are still on 1.02.
    The installation is going through to the point where i need the WMP11 installed, this was the point where I found out the difference between Ultimate an UltimateN--- NO WMP12 and NO Mediacenter.
    So I needed to install the components from the MS-Site.
    Reboot, and the installation of MP went through.

Note, still not addional codecs installed, I use the MPC codecs that come with MP.

Quickly configured MP (Codecs etc) and gave it a try-> Voila TV is working far better than in my XP... NO Stutter in preview, Fast and no problems with other overlay (e.g. On Screen Keyboard)
    Installed Plugins:
    Fritz Box Call Monitor
    Shoutcast Plugin
    Online Videos
    Touch Control (gestures...)

Another hint for the TabletPC features of Windows7:
    This was not really working out of the box, regarding Gestures, and controls etc.

After installing the Asus Touch Tool mentioned above, I needed to configure the "DigitizerHD" mode under Advanced in the tool, to be able to get the TabletPC features running an configurable in Win7.

Like I said, Win7 is running MUCH better than XP together with MP, I would definately do it again, almost hassle free....

Hope some of you might find these information useful, and happy TOUCHING.....

:)

Cheers

joystick

micayacar

June 2, 2010
    i think im the only one who used this , im not a genius at all when it comes to PC's , so i just wanted to tell you

your post was really really very helpfull to me , becuase it wasnt easy to find this information about the microphone etc

so i did all same as you did , tks a lot !!!

and my Eee top is working just fine with Win 7 , i only regret th easymode is not available for Win 7 , but its not a big thing anyway

ok byeee

gonzo_ja

June 5, 2010
    Hey I'm a little confused about how you got the volume buttons working. Can you elaborate on which driver you installed? Thanks!

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: eeeTop 1602 on Windows7 -> Experience I made

simply install the Touch-Screen Software provided at the asus website. It's called "touch Tool" something... can't remember it atm. Even though it says "touch" it is providing the Button support for the eeetop case. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom