embedded .srt subtitles in .ogm will not show up (1 Viewer)

Goose

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    first i wish to say that i did not realise that the support forum was different to the bug forum so i initially posted there https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/embedded_srt_subtitles_ogm_not_show_up-t29541.html

embedded .srt/text subtitles in an .ogm container fail to show up during playback, mediaportal says they are in use but fails to add them to the screen.

this occurs only in mediaportal, in windows media player and mpc subs show fine. this error is reproducible across multiple machines.

subtitle filter in use is vsfilter (not autoloading) and is added to movies post processing. It is set to load when needed and is set for internal and external subs.

.srt with vsfilter/directvobsub works like a charm with .mkv files

unfortunately i do not have any ogg media with different formatted subs.

all other sub/file format combinations i have tested work fine .mkv,.srt; .mkv,.ssa; .mkv,.ass

this occurs with 0.2.3.0 rc2 or newer svns... i used to use this in the past id est. it was working. I unfortunately don't know when it was broken.

not that it should really matter but haali's splitter and ffdshow are the splitter and decoder respectively.

I would not have noticed this but i am currently writing a codec guide for mediaportal, so i was checking to make sure all subs worked within mediaportal, until i found this problem.

error description

1. start mp in fullscreen basic
    2. select videos
    3. navigate to file
    4. start playback
    5. select subtitles with yellow? on remote
    6. mp says subs are active
    7. subtitles do not come up

TV-Server Version: n/a
    MediaPortal Version: .2.3.0 rc2
    MediaPortal Skin: blue two or spinsafe revolve
    Windows Version: xp sp2 fully patched
    CPU Type: intel pentium 4 3.0
    HDD: 40gb seagate ide
    Memory: 1gb single channel
    Motherboard: gigabyte p4 board
    Motherboard Chipset: intel 845g
    Motherboard Bios:
    Video Card: gf4mx 4000
    Video Card Driver: latest nvidia
    Sound Card: creative audigy 2 zs
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver: latest creative
    1. TV Card:
    1. TV Card Type:
    1. TV Card Driver:
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: mpv
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: mpa
    Satelite/CableTV Provider:
    HTPC Case: desktop case
    Cooling: fans, duh
    Power Supply: 300watt yamcha
    Remote: microsoft mce
    TV: samsung 32" lcd
    TV - HTPC Connection: dsub

peterk2007

Portal Member
    April 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Hello Goose,

I may have already submitted a fix for this, but to double check, can you do something please?

Gownload graphedit from here: http://www.doom9.org. (If the link does not bring you directly to the downloap page, then choose "download" from the left menu, then find and click on "full software page in the first sencence.) This is a little tool of you don't know it yet. Just unpack the content of the package to a folder somewhere on you PC and start graphedt.exe.

Now start mediaportal in windowed mode, start playing the ogg file you have trouble with, then while you're still playing the file change back to graphedit, go to "File menu" then "Connect to remote graph". A small window will come up with a list with one strange entry in it. Just click "Connect", and you'll see the so called "directshow graph" that mediaportal created for playback. Just do a printscreen of this graph, and please post the picture here.

Thanks,
    Peter

Goose

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    graphedit.GIF

thanks for your reply peterk2007

i have this issue with a lot of older anime that i download.

peterk2007

Portal Member
    April 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Hi Goose,

Ok, I see the problem. And i have two good news for you. ;)

The firt is that my patch will fix this issue vell. Here is the forum topic about it: Patch/fix to improve vobsub and haali cooperation, and here is the tracker url: Pacth. You can follow the story of it there. I guess we have to wait for some time for it to get into the SVN because I think now there is a feature freeze (or like), the developers only (or mainly) include bugfixes for a while. But this is just my feeling.

The second news is that you can "fix" this issue temporarily for yourself. Well, telling the truth, this will not fix everything, but at least a workaround.

As you can see on the graph, ffdshow takes over the subtitle stream from vobsub (notice the arrow going from the source ogm's subtitle pin to ffdshow "in text" pin). What you have to do is disable completely ffdshow subtiles. Just start playing the file in mediaportal, then look for an icon in your system tray called "ffdshow video decoder". Double click on it, and it will bring up the config dialog of ffdshow. You need to disable subtitle there, and also clear the checkbox before "accept embedded subtitles" and "accept ssa, ass ....". Also uncheck "enable" in "vobsub" submenu there. Just look at the picture i added and you'll see.

If this does not work (it may happen in this case if graphbuilder renders some rubbish filter to the subtitle pin instead of connection to vobsub), then try to do it in the reverse way: enable subtitles in ffdshow, and check all checkboxes i mentioned above. This will surely display the subtitle, however this can cause that you will loose external (str, sub) subtitles. The other possibility is that you will have subtitles, but you will loose the ability to control it from mediaportal for sure. In this case you need to enable/disable ffdshow subtitles each time you change to watch from movies with embedded subtitles to movies with external subtitles - or vice versa.

I know this is quite annoying, but this is the exact reason why I made the patch. :)

cheers,
    Peter

See the mentioned setting here:
    ffdshow.jpg

Goose

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Hi peterk2007,
    Thanks for the fix and the temporary fix. Why does ffdshow get the subtitle pin when i have disabled ffdhow subtitle handling?

peterk2007

Portal Member
    April 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Hi Goose,
    Well, it has to. Think of the main checkbox as "show/hide" switch rather then "enable/disable" switch. Ffdshow has to pre-accept embedded subtitle connections to be able to show subtitles when the user switches subtitles on during playback. If you don't want ffdshow deal with embedded subtitles, use the inside settings.

The same goes for vobsub subtitles.

cheers,
    Peter

Goose

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    thanks again peterk2007, will try it out.

Radek_G

October 23, 2007
    Kansas City
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    vobsub problem

I read you r guide yesterday and was hoping it would help me fix my problem w/subtitles.
    I play avi with txt/srt in Zoom or Media Player and it work s fine. Oh, I tuned off ffdshow subtitles so now it uses vobsub.
    When I play the same avi in MP there's no subs (I added post processing for the movies).
    I can tell that vobsub is loading, I turned the OSD for VS, but the actual file with subs does not load.
    When I open vobsub settings (green tray icon) the file field is blank and if I manually load it (browse/open) that it works OK. After I restart or do full-screen the file name is gone.
    I'll try peterk2007 patch when I get back home but I'm afraid it different problem because he was saying that vobsub did not load at all - ffdshow took precedence. I looked at the graph (I did not connect remotely to the MP, though) it connects the vobsub.

Goose

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    The peterk2007 patch is not something you can use to patch your version of mediaportal. It needs to be compiled in to mediportal before you install it. Basically it's not for you.

I assume you are attempting to load external subs. If you do this the subtitle file must have the same name as the movie you are attempting to play. eg. thematrix(divx).avi and thematrix(divx).srt. Also it needs to be in the same folder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom