emulators2.xml invalid or missing (1 Viewer)

spiceygas

Portal Member
October 11, 2011
First question: I'm new to this plugin. What does the invalid or missing emulators2.xml error message mean and how do I fix it? I used the AMPed skin and saw a pinned thread with emulators.xml files, but that's not the filename that the plugin is showing as an error.

Second question: The database starts with one entry that has an id= -1. I added a new one for my emulator, which got the id of 0. But I cannot delete the initial one that was there, so I'm stuck with some garbage. I tried resetting the database (using the instructions in the pinned thread) but no matter what I try I cannot get rid of it.

I'm not a MediaPortal expert but I am a computer scientist, so I'd like to think I can follow instructions if someone would point me in the right direction.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    There are no included skin files for the AMPed skin so you need to ask the developer of that skin nicely if they plan to add support (emulators.xml is for the previous incarnation of this plugin).

The -1 entry is the built in 'emulator' used for PC games - it's not actually stored in the database and cannot be deleted, however it will not be displayed in the MP GUI if you have not configured any PC games so just ignore it.

Last edited:

spiceygas

Portal Member
    October 11, 2011
    That makes sense. Is there a "generic" XML file that will work for any skin? (Even if it isn't styled right)

Is there a list of skins that do include the needed XML file? Maybe I could pick one of them and be just as happy.

And thanks for explaining that I can ignore the -1 emulator. It's a little goofy, but as long as it isn't going to show I can live with ignoring it.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The plugin includes skin files for Default, Default Wide and Titan skins and I think the Avalon skin includes support for this version of the plugin. There are also StreamedMP skin files but the dimensions of the skin were changed after the last release so the included ones don't display correctly - corrected files have been posted on the forum somewhere though. You can try using files from these skins but it's not going to look pretty, I would suggest trying the Default Wide files as these are the simplest - you need to copy across all xml files prefixed with 'Emulators2'. The skin files should have been installed at 'C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\skin'.

Obviously native PC games need to be handled differently to emulated games, the current hard-coded implementation is the way the plugin knows what type it's dealing with.

spiceygas

Portal Member
    October 11, 2011
    Sounds good. I'll tinker a little to get something running for the skin XML. Thank you for the quick responses -- I appreciate your willingness to explain to me how it works and set me straight.

spiceygas

Portal Member
    October 11, 2011
    In case anyone else uses the AMPed skin, grabbing the XML files from the DefaultWide skin and dropping them in gives an acceptably good UI. It's not perfect, but it works fine and looks decent.

Thanks again for your help to get me up and running. Great plugin!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom