Enhance "wake on lan" feature (on demand, not on start) (1 Viewer)

Dominik König

Portal Member
November 4, 2015
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hey guys,

the wol of MP2 server on client startup works well. I'm very happy to get this feautre implemented directly in MP2.

But I think this feature could become even more handy, if it handles more situation than only "client startup".
Imagine you start the client (--> server gets wol signal), you browse the TV schedule and find out, that there's nothing of interest and start streaming through online videos. The MP2 server gets back to sleep, which is fine because it is no longer needed.
When you get back to the MP2 client menu after streaming, the server strays sleeping and you can neither browse TV schedule nor startup live TV. So before getting the error messge (TV Service not running), it would be fine to give the wol another try and wait, if TV service comes up.
At the moment, the only solution is to close the client and open it back again.

Just a small idea, would be great to get this implemented.
Kind regards,
Dominik

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    While the MP2-Client is "busy" (like playback of streaming, or any remote/keyboard interaction), it prevents standby of the client PC.

And as long the MP2-Client is active, it sends "Keep Alive" packages via UPnP to server, which then prevents the server to suspend, as long as any client is active.

So in summary I think it should cover the use case already.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    While the MP2-Client is "busy" (like playback of streaming, or any remote/keyboard interaction), it prevents standby of the client PC.
    That's what I thought, but given the original posting I got the impression that this is not the case.

@Dominik König , please provide DEBUG logsthat cover the timeframe of the server entering standby. You may want to reproduce the issue under controlled circumstances.

Dominik König

Portal Member
    November 4, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well okay, i have to check this. But I am quite sure, that in my setup MP2 server (which is a dedicated server only) goes to sleep while client is streaming online videos. Is there any special setting to power scheduler in MP2 server for this?

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    setting to power scheduler in MP2 server for this
    If you use the PowerScheduler, make sure to configure it to leave standby handlng to "Windows" only. It is not aware of MP2's UPnP handling and will force the server too sleep, while MP2 would require to be running.

Dominik König

Portal Member
    November 4, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well @morpheus_xx you were right, i ticked the box to "force standby" in PowerScheduler. My fault, didn't remember using this option. Now, the servers stays awake.So my "problem" is solved this way, TV server is present when I need it.
    But I think the underlying questions remains: Does TV server need to stay awake if I am watching online videos? From a power consumption point of view I just need the server for watching live TV (or recordings) or listing saved videos / music. The use of the latter is declining with streaming flatrates I suppose. So I still think, at least as a feature request, it would be reasonable to think about a wake-on-lan by demand instead of keeping the server awake, just in case you could need it.
    Kind regards,
    Dominik

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom