Enhancing UI Experience While Using A Mouse? (1 Viewer)

tackyjan

August 8, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello All!

I am brand new to MediaPortal, I just found out about it today and installed it on my Win 8.1 PC about 1 hour ago (the latest version 1.8). I have been messing around with it and I have one question and the Windows 8 user interface and using a mouse.

I am having an issue with trying to select a menu item and the mouse causing the menus to move (like on the home screen). If I use my keyboard L/R/Enter keys it's easy to navigate and select a menu it. With the mouse, however, it's a different story. I don't quite know how to explain it but it's like the menu moves when you move the mouse but it doesn't really "line up" with the mouse pointer making it hard to click an item. For example, lets say the menu item I want to select is on the left side of the GUI and my mouse is on the right. I start to move my mouse towards the menu and this in turn causes the menu to move and the closer I get the further away the menu gets! It's almost like a game trying to click the menu. :)

Is there a way to make the GUI more "mouse friendly"? Perhaps a skin/plugin that enhances or adds more mouse capability?

Thank you!

Jan

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome! :)

Quick question: have you set the font scaling/size on Windows to be higher than 100% (96 dpi)?
    If so, that would probably explain the offset between the mouse pointer and the menu focus.

mm

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello @tackyjan,

if you can't get MP1 working reliable, you should consider to test MP2 for various reasons:
    • modern architecture with central media database
    • support for multiple concurrent players(PiP, image+audio etc)
    • all skins are designed to be (fully) controlable by mouse
    • I recently started to add touch support for MP2 and expect a prototype in the next public release (which will come soon)

tackyjan

August 8, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hello @tackyjan,

if you can't get MP1 working reliable, you should consider to test MP2 for various reasons:
    • modern architecture with central media database
    • support for multiple concurrent players(PiP, image+audio etc)
    • all skins are designed to be (fully) controlable by mouse
    • I recently started to add touch support for MP2 and expect a prototype in the next public release (which will come soon)

I just downloaded MP2 and installed it. I went to the skins section of the settings menu. I can change skins (there are 4 to choose from):

63b1f3d1-5962-4979-a02e-ffef90f1fe0c_zpsd8d18017.png

But I don't see where I can add skins??

3daf846e-3d20-4c59-82a5-39378847076e_zpsebdee1d9.png

MP1 came with a separate program to install skins/configure MP/etc. Does MP2 have this as well?

Last edited:

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    At the moment there are unfortunately no more skins available yet. We still hoping for skinners to step more into MP2.

All configuration of MP2 is done inside the GUI, no need for external programs.

On the feature of extension (plugin) management we are working hard at the moment. We plan to have a inbuilt solution at end of the year when MP2 goes BETA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom