Entry Level HTPC reasurance (1 Viewer)

japes

Portal Member
October 27, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
This will be my first attempt at an HTPC and first computer build in a few years so I want to make sure this is indeed what I need.

The goal is to get started with little initial out of pocket expense but with components that will work with upgrades I plan on in the future.

For now I plan on using as mainly a DVD server to rip my DVD's to the hard drive, playing my music, storing and editing home movies, play downloaded videos (HD videos possible), and NES SNES ... emulators

as well as simple web browsing, email, and documents (not at same time as watching movies)

I would like to eventually upgrade to video card and BR / HD-DVD combo drive to be able to watch HD movies and possibly minor gaming later. As well as a better case.

This is what I am looking at getting for now...

GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $86.99

AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor - Retail $59.99

ZEROtherm BTF90 with manual fan controller (BTF92) 92mm 2 ball UFO bearing CPU Cooler - Retail $34.99
(Free ZT100 grease included)

Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Retail Item #: N82E16835154003 $3.79

Scythe SCMNJ-1000 80mm Sleeve "NINJA MINI" CPU Cooler - Retail Item #: N82E16835185046 $34.95

A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail $48.99
(I know 4GB is overkill but for $12 more than 2GB why not)

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $74.99
OR
Western Digital Caviar Green WD6400AACS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (bare drive) - OEM $74.99
(what does Bare Drive mean to me and does the "green" properties cause issues for HTPC?)

Non Green combo's with free cable Nippon Labs 4-Pin PC power to 2 x SATA Converter Cables Model POW-SATA-2 - Retail Item #: N82E16812816015

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - OEM $28.99

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS30 - OEM Item #: N82E16827136152 $23.99

Logitech Cordless MediaBoard Pro for PS3 Item #: N82E16879212011 $59.99

(any suggestions on the following)

Wireless Card
Only thing left for now is case and PSU...since this thing is going in the corner on a shelf behind my tv cabinet looks are not a big deal right now.

Currently I have a 46" Samsung A650 LCD HDTV with a couple of free HDMI slots open that I want to use as display
I have a 1TB Mybook world edition NAS that currently houses my pictures and music
Linksys 2.4 GHz 802.11G wireless router (with speed boost what ever that means)
and a Sony DAV-FR1 dream theater (has optical audio socket)

Besides the questions above I basically need to know is does all this stuff go together, are there any better options, can I upgrade later without wasting anything.

Also with what I have currently and this build will I be able to play DVD's (that are upscaled) with 5.1 sound

P.S.

using windows MCE 2005 with Mediaportal, anyDVD, DVD Clone
(currently have it on my laptop for testing and so far like it)

Thanks and sorry for so many questions

New

Old

milhouse

Portal Pro
November 9, 2006
Raleigh, NC U.S.
Home Country
I am not a big hardware guy, so I won't comment on most of your hardware. But for the wireless card, I will throw out one point.

If this hardware will be sharing files (e.g. you've got your DVD rips stored on this HTPC, and will be playing them from another) then I have had a tough time with wireless. Even running at "g" speeds. I went as far as putting open source firmware on my router (D-Link WRT54G) just so I could boost the power, and it still didn't resolve the occassional stutter. For any media sharing, I would always recommend wired networks. I assume the MB you';ve selected has built in 100 or 1000 ethernet. Use that if it's an option, and fall back to wireless if it isn't.

If it's just ripping DVDs and copying them over, then wireless would be fine even if it's slower than wired.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
I am not a big hardware guy, so I won't comment on most of your hardware. But for the wireless card, I will throw out one point.

If this hardware will be sharing files (e.g. you've got your DVD rips stored on this HTPC, and will be playing them from another) then I have had a tough time with wireless. Even running at "g" speeds. I went as far as putting open source firmware on my router (D-Link WRT54G) just so I could boost the power, and it still didn't resolve the occassional stutter. For any media sharing, I would always recommend wired networks. I assume the MB you';ve selected has built in 100 or 1000 ethernet. Use that if it's an option, and fall back to wireless if it isn't.

If it's just ripping DVDs and copying them over, then wireless would be fine even if it's slower than wired.

+1. i would go the wired route as well as its so much more reliable. i knocked up a cat5 network in my house, pretty simple to do, just get yourself some cat5e cable, and some RJ45 plugs and sockets, and patch them in using the correct colour coding (see here - youll want to use the 568A standard).

never had issues with transfer speeds, i think cat5e cable is good for anything up to 1Gb/s.

japes

Portal Member
October 27, 2008
Home Country
I plan on only using the wireless to reach the internet and for the music and pictures on the NAS which is upstairs. Movies and such will be stored locally on the htpc. It would be nice to have it set up as wired but that's not an option right now b/c of the concrete slab that makes the floor between the upstairs and the main level. My wife definately won't live with cables ran all over the house.

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    That motherboard has no onboard video so you will need a video card
    I would suggest looking at a mobo with onboard like the nvidia 8200, it will play 1080p fine
    Great cpu choice nice 45w cpu
    Wireless card I would stick with linksys just just fastest out even if you router cant do it cause they always work with slower, just incase you upgrade you will get the full benifit without having to replace the card later.
    Bare drive means just the drive, so not in the retail box, no screws, sata cable.

If you want a even quieter pc take a look at this
    Newegg.com - Scythe SCMNJ-1000 80mm Sleeve "NINJA MINI" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
    You can remove the fan and the 4850 will run perfect as long as you dont play intensive games

5Hundred

Portal Pro
    December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ryan20021982 I think you're certainly mistaken re the onboard graphics as this board has the ATI HD3200 onboard. Possibly some of the best onboard graphics out there and therefore very suitable for an HTPC.

It might be worth getting a low end PHenom processor as it opens up a few more graphics capabilities (vector adaptive deinterlacing)

However you are correct about the CPU cooler, the mini Ninja is definitely recommended.

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    thats weird I searched on newegg.com real quick to look at the mobo and it dont list the onboard video
    thats weird dosent even mention video, I guess the hdmi port should have gave it away, oh well
    I stand corrected.

Koschel

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2005
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The GA-MA78G-DS3H has onboard grafic (DVI and HDMi). but you should have a close look at your system cooling. In some cases e.g. Silverstone ML02B-XMR I saw very high temp on the Mosfets and black sreen after watching blu-ray for about an hour.
    The Phenom X4 9350e (65 Watts) would be a good choice for have all options.
    Considering the DVD, the new Samsungs, all after S183 are to loud in my opinion, I would prefer the LG GH-22NS

japes

Portal Member
    October 27, 2008
    Home Country
    Made a few changes per suggestions from you guys. I guess I also need to make sure I get all the right cables I'll need.

Nippon Labs 18" (1.5 ft.) SATA II Cable with locking latch Model SATA-L0.5-R - Retail Item #: N82E16812816027

are these the cables I need to connect the HDD and DVD-R to the MOBO?

japes

Portal Member
    October 27, 2008
    Home Country
    Processor Comparison

AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor - Retail $59.99

VS

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO5000DOBOX - Retail $59.00

Any comments or suggestions regarding this

also thinking about a slightly faster RAM

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom