EPG grab improvement (1 Viewer)

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    SciDoctor,

OK, now i understand where you are coming from. Is this really a problem though? Does this happen a lot?

Thanks, simple concept but maybe alittle difficult to explain.

I know that a change will make no difference to the broadcasts where a single TV channel carries just its own EPG data and nothing else.

BUT in the UK the cummulative effect of a problem with a MUX affects all channnels on that MUX . I have NO experience of MUX' in other countries but would expect a similar problem.

A time-out on channel one on a MUX would give a very high probability that all channels on that MUX will time-out at this time. So instead of wasting time trying every channel a move to the next MUX available would be beneficial.

If a MUX only carried one or two channels then this wouldn't be much of a a problem BUT when there are upto fifteeen channels on a MUX and the MUX's more likely to give a reception problem and time-out are those with more channels then the time wasted increases dramaticaly.

Now at the moment the TV server only grabs when no timeshifting or recording is occuring so making the most of the little time available to grab EPG data succesfully we chould try and avoid the above problems.

Also the Tv server during this free time isn't tied to a MUX or channel so this shouldn't cause any problems.

Simply changing the grab cycle could realy help in getting a successful grab in the least time on all occassions.

Yes time-outs happen a lot.

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    Excellent improvement (I hope) with svn 11674.

The EPG grab 'time-out' for three channels on a single MUX frequency and then moved to another MUX to try.

The MUX with the 'timeout' had thirteen channels on it so the time saved was possibly over an hour .

The MUX that was chosen next to grab had a suucesful grab and the 82 channels were logged as updated.

ONE BIG BUG is that the graber will tag the channels that had 'timeout' grabs on them as 'not needed lastUpdate' at the time the timeout occured.

Also the 'refresh epg' does nothing .

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    On reflection and looking at the EPG from within the MP application GUI I don't think the grab was programmed to change MUX after the timouts but actualy followed the EPG listing order for the stations.

Could a dev confirm this.

Also as to ordering the EPG there seems no logic here as TVchannels , Tv mapping and Tv epg grabber all list the channels differently .

The order I arranged in TVchannels isn't being set as 'master' to the other two.

WHY no LCN information taken from the broadcast as this surely would make ordering easier.

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Is the UK the only teritory that uses LCN? I would have thought this would be a basic part of the DVB support, but obviously not. I've not bothered messing about with the chanel order yet, but i really miss the LCN from my STB.

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    http://www.tellyaerial.34sp.com/ta.php/world

The above link gives a clue to why those not within the UK aren't bothered with a change to the grab order.

They have so few DVB-T channels, EPG data is poor or not available on every channel, there is no intra-channel co-operation with EPG data.

I can see why so many use an internet based web-epg-grabber amongsst MP users.

As for LCN , it would seem that many countries broadcasts do carry this info and it would help alot if MP utilised LCN.

LCN (logical channel number)

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    interesting link SciDoctor

I think that is one advantage we have with Freeview, it's more than just a collection of channels.

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    interesting link SciDoctor

I think that is one advantage we have with Freeview, it's more than just a collection of channels.

The link realy does show how advanced the UK DVB-T service is compared to other countries.

The data of the dvb-t signal is very complete and covers virtualy all aspects and over 90% is FTV.

The downside is that the MP devs have a hard time implementing all the features because they cannot recieve them from their local broadcasts.

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    You might wanna try latest svn.
    If all works ok, epg grabbing is now done on transponder
    >EPG: grabber started 85 transponders..
    >epg: grab epg for transponder #1 type:2 freq:298000 mod:3 sr:6875 bw:8 pol:0
    >EPG timeout:300.5481465.
    >epg: grab epg for transponder #2 type:2 freq:308000 mod:3 sr:6875 bw:8 pol:0
    >EPG received for 126 channels.
    >epg: grab epg for transponder #3 type:2 freq:316000 mod:3 sr:6875 bw:8 pol:0

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    thanks for the reply.

Unfortunatly the latest SVN 11792 doesn't work at all.

No TV channels found when DVB-T scan, only scans the first MUX and then stops .

When in manual control view the tuners are shown as idle, no EPG grab,. Refesh EPG still does nothing.

So for checking the EPG; this also doesn't timeout or show any singn of a grab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom