EPG is unreadable (1 Viewer)

Workscoper

June 7, 2018
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi
I have installed MediaPortal 1.18. I have downloaded the EPG after some help I found on the WEB, but although it has downloaded, it is unreadable. Instead of normal lettering it is like a WingDings / WebDings Font that you would see in Microsoft Word Fonts.
I tried to download Version 2, but had other problems with the decoders so reverted back to 1.18. I have attached a screen shot of the problem.
I did get a reply for my original request but I am still having problems. I have added a couple of Pics showing what was suggested from the previous helper. I went to your website and followed the EPG install procedure, and "Nearly got there" but still no luck.
Your help would be appreciated.
Regards

Attachments

• EPG Download Issue.JPG
    EPG Download Issue.JPG
    188.7 KB
  • EPG Help email.JPG
    EPG Help email.JPG
    53.3 KB

Jasmeet_181

Portal Pro
September 5, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
This is possibly the same issue as the one being discussed here - Exit Code 13

The solution is:
Change your collection type to EIT.

Also make sure that on the Advanced dialog you set the option to use Huffman decompression tables or the descriptions will be garbled.(Link).

Workscoper

June 7, 2018
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi again
One of the problems I am having is how to download the XMLTV.DTD Logo and how to save it. The instructions say to save it in C:\epg\xmltv.dtd. Firstly, I don't know how to save a .dtd file, and secondly, when I installed the program it appears in C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal, so I assume it is saved to there? Do I create another folder for it or what? I think trying to get this first step right is causing me all my issue. Also, when I went in to change the settings you mention, I was able to change the collection type to EIT, but the other box in the advanced tab ("Use FreeSat Huffman tables to translate compressed text.") I was unable to change because it was grayed out?
Regards
upload_2018-6-10_6-41-28.png

Jasmeet_181

Portal Pro
September 5, 2007
Home Country
It's just a typo in the page, you should already have an xmltv.dtd in C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\xmltv or you can download it from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/XMLTV/xmltv/master/xmltv.dtd (right click, save link as). The location doesn't matter too much as long as it's the same folder that tvguide.xml (the file that EPG Collector will output too) is in but using C:\epg\ will make following the wiki guide much easier. If you do want to use C:\epg\ then you'll have to create the folder.

After you've selected EIT instead of MHEG5 in EPG Collector, click on the Update button (I think this replaced Add), tick the Freesat Huffman box, then click OK and choose Yes on the overwrite prompt if there is one.

There's also a broken link in Step 6 - Schedule automatic EPG updates, the attached update.zip should be the same. The update.bat file inside can be edited in notepad if you chose different paths than the guide.Fixed the link.

Last edited:

Workscoper

June 7, 2018
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Thanks again for your help . ......what a battle!!!!!!!!!!!
I am nearly there I think, but when I go to import (See below),. I get the message tvguide.xml: No xmltv file found, but as you can see they are in the folder.
As per the note in the Box, lll "Please note that this folder should also include the xmltv.dtd file" ....(It does).

Next question.
Should I be scanning for channels first off as per the note in the instructions below, and then doing all the setup after. Step 5 says to "Run the TV server configuration, but maybe I should be running it first?

upload_2018-6-11_15-13-11.png

Many Thanks again for perservering with me.

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-11_15-6-31.png
    upload_2018-6-11_15-6-31.png
    59.1 KB
  • upload_2018-6-11_15-7-0.png
    upload_2018-6-11_15-7-0.png
    68.5 KB

Jasmeet_181

Portal Pro
September 5, 2007
Home Country
No problem, I'm glad to be of some help.
Based on your screenshots, your TVGuide.xml and xmltv.dtd are in "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server" but you have "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\xmltv" selected in TV Server Configuration.

Where it says "Run TV Server Configuration" in step 5, it just means open the configuration application. The channels should be scanned for before setting up the EPG but it doesn't need to be done again unless there are changes to the broadcasts, e.g. a new channel launches. Your original post had a screenshot with the encoded text in the EPG so you've already scanned the channels in.

That reminds me, in TV Server Configuration you also need to to untick the Enabled boxes to disable the idle and timeshifting/recording EPG grabbing in the DVB-EPG section or the encoded text will return.

Workscoper

June 7, 2018
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
OK ............. I did those things you mentioned, but when I tried to Force Import, nothing happened.
I will delete the entire program and do fresh install making sure I follow all of your changes and recommendations to see what happens.

Workscoper

June 7, 2018
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi again. I have given up trying to install the program. I must have tried at least a dozen times over the last 2 weeks and cannot get it to work. I am sure it is a good program, but I have been playing around with computers for the last 20+years, but the installing of this program has got me stumped. I would be interested to know how many other folk share my frustrations. It would be really handy for all concerned if when time is available, to put out a set of "Installing for Dummies" notes (Ones that are correct with no typos or missing steps) so that it makes life easier for users like myself.
Many Thanks for your replies and help
Regards.

Workscoper

June 7, 2018
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Well, I kept on perservering, and I have no idea how I managed it, but it looks like I struck Gold.
I will now take some notes on how I got there, so may end up asking a few more questions in the future.
Regards
upload_2018-6-12_14-3-42.png

Workscoper

June 7, 2018
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
OK I spoke too soon. Before I sorted the above problem, the TV picture was absolutely perfect. I could record manually and I could set the timer. Since I have the Guide up and running I can't watch the picture due to what appears to be codec issues. I have tried all the scenarios but cannot get even a reasonable picture now. I am also getting a "Runtime" error. Can anyone help with these issues?
Regards
upload_2018-6-12_14-31-52.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom