[other] Extend g_player with title, description, etc (1 Viewer)

Shukuyen

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 8, 2008
    Lake of Constance
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

almost all the plugins I plan to develop or started to develop would like to get some more information about a file played by g_player.

My thought was to extend g_player with a pretty title, description, file type (video, movie, episode, music, ...) and a thumbnail. Maybe the plugin name which started the player, too. A plugin or Mediaportal component would then supply those properties with the start method and g_player would make the skin properties available. This way all the "wait x seconds then update the skin" hack most plugins use would not be neccessary.

While looking at the code I noticed that there already are properties vor _title and _description in the g_player class, but they aren't used anywhere.

Does it make sense to code what I described above? Is it not possible for some reason? (I admit that I don't really know what's going on in the Mediaportal internals). If it makes sense, do you have any hints which places I have to touch?

Thanks for all your input,
    Shukuyen.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I'm not sure what you mean, but it is possible to set some of the properties for the player like this:

Code:
    g_Player.currentTitle = rec.Title; //Just an example from the TVPlugin
    g_Player.currentDescription = rec.Description;

the type of media (Music, Radio, Recording, TV, Video, Unknown) is set when you start playback with g_Player.Play

Shukuyen

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 8, 2008
    Lake of Constance
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey pilehave,

I mean something like that:
    MoviePlayer.cs - moving-pictures - Project Hosting on Google Code

I think this is a step that shouldn't be neccessary but more important I want to do something like this in my plugin when I receive a g_player.PlaybackChanged event:
    string Title = g_player.Title; // Would be the media title, not the file name
    string Description = g_player.Description; // A description
    string Caller = g_player.Caller; // The plugin this is played from, ie "MovingPictures" or "TV Series"

I saw that the type of media is automatically determined, but I would like to go further. A video may be a movie, a video (little clip, home movie ...), a trailer, a streamed online video and so on. It would be great to know what type the file is for all kinds of plugin.

Hope you get what I want to say, my "half knowledge" doesn't make it easy to express what I want to do. And who knows, maybe it's already possible via a way I don't know of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom