[other] Extend Watchdog to improve reliability (1 Viewer)

milagroso

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello all,

I'm using MP now for almost 3 years and went through many funny problems. A good addition IMO was the watchdog and I propose to extend it's functionality. Working in the automotive industry I see that the SW working in our cars most of all has to be reliable and in future also safe. The HTPC is also a system which has to work very reliably. However, 'normal' PC's are often not that reliable because either the HW or the SW or both with the time run into tricky configurations where they get stuck under seldom circumstances.

Rationale:
    Besides of creating stable SW a watchdog can easily improve the reliability of the system 'HTPC'. The user shall get diagnostic information if the watchdog was active.

Current situation:
    Currently the MP-Watchdog monitors the existence of the process of MP. As soon as it gets killed, the watchdog is activated, collects information and restarts MP.

Proposal:
    Extend the MP-Watchdog to monitor also:
    • unresponsiveness of process of MP
    • unresponsiveness or killing of process of TV Service
    • unresponsiveness or killing of process of MySQL Service
    Implement any notification mechanism to the user, e.g. by
    • Status Information on some screen
    • email
    • other usual notification mechanisms for server monitoring
    Implement incrementally a refined set (and configurable) of recovery mechanisms like
    • kill/restart service/application
    • reboot PC
    • shut PC down

Benefits:
    • 'Hangs' due to SW and partially due to HW faults could be pragmatically resolved
    • The reliability of the system would increase even in the diversified landscape of HTPC implementations
    • One could go to vacation and leave the system safely behind

Kind regards from Stuttgart

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    +1 for that.
    I was thinking something like that 6 months ago, but i could not find time to do it.

milagroso

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Extend Watchdog to improve reliability

Hello all,

in the past days I started working on an ad-hoc solution for such a watchdog. I grew up a powershell script and in these days I'm refining it. As soon as I'm convinced that it does more use than harm (e.g. by inadvertently killing the MP process or by shutting down the PC) I will post it here.

One question to the admin: Where would it be best posted? In MediaPortal Plugins?

regards from Stuttgart

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom