External Control Plugin Version II - ideas please! (1 Viewer)

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
lugiber said:
I would really like to see the ability to pull menu information out of the plugin.
I am currently using the external control plugin with AllenConquests lcdsmartie plugin and menu info is the only feature i am missing at the moment.

/Peter

Can you elaborate on what you mean by menu information?

Sam

lugiber

Portal Pro
August 3, 2004
Sweden
samuel337 said:

Sam

Since i use the external control plugin with my lcd it would be nice to be able to navigate through media portal without turning the tv on. So basically i would like to be able to read the menu information on my lcd so that i can navigate into my music and select which tracks to play.
The menu information i am interested in getting is everything displayed on the current menu. For instance when i start mediaportal the plugin would output the current menu like this:

My Programs
My Radio
My News
etc...

The plugin would also indicate which item on the menu is selected.

Hope you understand what i mean.

/Peter

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
lugiber said:
samuel337 said:

Sam

Since i use the external control plugin with my lcd it would be nice to be able to navigate through media portal without turning the tv on. So basically i would like to be able to read the menu information on my lcd so that i can navigate into my music and select which tracks to play.
The menu information i am interested in getting is everything displayed on the current menu. For instance when i start mediaportal the plugin would output the current menu like this:

My Programs
My Radio
My News
etc...

The plugin would also indicate which item on the menu is selected.

Hope you understand what i mean.

/Peter

How big is your LCD? If its only two lines, how are you going to fit all that info on to your LCD? I guess its easier for the home screen, but what about, let's say, the music screen? There buttons on te left, and a whole list of items...

One thing I would like to do if I had an LCD is to be able to add a recording using the LCD alone; this is already possible with my plugin, so its up to the LCD plugin creator to implement this.

Sam

lugiber

Portal Pro
August 3, 2004
Sweden
samuel337 said:
How big is your LCD? If its only two lines, how are you going to fit all that info on to your LCD? I guess its easier for the home screen, but what about, let's say, the music screen? There buttons on te left, and a whole list of items...

My lcd is only four lines so you would be (of course) very restricted in which information to show. For instance you would only show the menu that you are currently navigating through. If you were scrolling through your music you would only show the music files and not the menu on the left. Besides that you would not show more than maybe three or four items above and below what is currently selected.

samuel337 said:
One thing I would like to do if I had an LCD is to be able to add a recording using the LCD alone; this is already possible with my plugin, so its up to the LCD plugin creator to implement this.

Sam

Yes this works great! The problem is that i can't navigate into the tv menu with only the lcd turned on as i have no info on the lcd about the "home/start" menu. I don't know if this is due to "limitations" of your plugin or the lcd plugin.

/Peter

STSC

Portal Pro
December 4, 2004
Germany

Sam

Marco78 of the www.htpc-board.de is also developing something like this, but it's completely independent from MP and your computer.
The LCD will get its own MC (Atmel) and it will have 16 timers.
So you can program these 16 timers with your IR remote, what you can use to power on your computer. He will also implement Igor's USB interface.

http://www.cesko.host.sk/IgorPlugUSB/IgorPlug-USB%20(AVR)_eng.htm

AllenConquest

Portal Pro
January 9, 2005
London, UK
samuel337 & STSC

Looking through the code I was wondering if it would be possible to add some code into the OnAction() methods to populate a tag in the GUIPropertyManager whenever there is a change to the selected menu item. I could then display this using my LCDSmartie plugin. Does this sound feasible ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom