[Music] External music player (1 Viewer)

kkendall

Portal Pro
April 24, 2007
Gouda
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Started on: 2011-09-19
last update: 2011-09-24

Summary:
ability to choose external player for music

Area:
Music section

Description:
At the moment there is only the possibility to use an external player for videos. Could this also be implemented for the music section?

rogerleifert

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: External music player

Hi kkendall,

You already have this option in the MP configuration --> Plugins --> External players.

Perhaps You have to switch to the "expert mode" to see this?

Currently iTunes and Winamp are possible as alternative to the inbuild BASS-player (whixh hopefully will be overhauled according to the roadmap for MP 1.3.0).

You also can manually add the PureAudio plugin from the respective plugin-site.

Sadly Foobar2000 at the moment isn't supported any more though IMHO it should be as one of the best audio-players for audio enthusiasts.

Kind regards

Roger

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Re: AW: External music player

Hi kkendall,

You already have this option in the MP configuration --> Plugins --> External players.

Perhaps You have to switch to the "expert mode" to see this?

Hi Roger,
    THanks for the advice, i'll try it out!

This confusion is also caused because the setup of MP is so confusing. Why is the choice and setup of an external music player situated on a completely different spot than the choice for an external video player?? :confused:

I was just looking on the same spot in the music section as where I could find it in the video section...

rogerleifert

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: External music player

Hi kkendall,

Yeah. MP has so many features to discover and learn about.
    That's the curse of a software that can do nearly everything.
    But remember how long it took to find out "all" about your operationg system :)

Kind regards

Roger

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Re: AW: External music player

Hi kkendall,

Yeah. MP has so many features to discover and learn about.
    That's the curse of a software that can do nearly everything.

I wouldn't call it a curse! :) More of a blessing :p
    That's why a logical setup and structure is so important. If there are improvements for MP to work on, I mention it on the forum because I can imagine devs working on MP for a long time can easily oversee things like this.

I'd say in this case both video and music external players can be selected both in the plugins section, or both under their respective sections (video section and music section). Not the video external player in the video section and the music external player in the plugins section, like it is now (as far as I can recall).

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'd say in this case both video and music external players can be selected both in the plugins section, or both under their respective sections (video section and music section). Not the video external player in the video section and the music external player in the plugins section, like it is now (as far as I can recall).

Can't see this happening in MP1 as music and video are just so different. To play videos you just launch a player and pass a video (then you have to setup your remote to control playback)

In music you constantly need to communicate with the database and other things inside MP. Take playlists. Say you load a playlist then yes you could launch this but MP needs to know what is playing next (so player needs to communicate back to MP) the say you remove a track in the middle of the playlist then the player needs to be made aware of this. You simply don't have this two way interaction between external players and videos.

Also think about pureaudio. This just works in the background as an external player but you do not link to an executable file etc.

That said it might be possible to restructure things a little but you will still be limited to iTunes and winamp unless someone writes a new plugin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom