External Receiver (Digital Cable Box)? (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

I could help if I could get a c# wrapper for the usb-uirt api.

I do alot of c# coding, but would need help writing the wrapper for the api
Not sure how to handle some of that but interfacing to the media portal I
could attempt.

A

Anonymous

nettiger,

Spent some time on this tonight and made great progress. But, I hope you are OK with the direction I'm going.

I have chosen to work towards supporting external tuners using Girder:

http://www.girder.nl/

If you aren't familliar with Girder, please take a moment to read up on it. Particularly the "Getting Started with Girder" section:

http://www.girder.nl/help/gettingstarted/index.php

Girder is very powerful, albiet somewhat confusing to get setup the first time. Both SnapStream and ShowShifter have support for external tuners using Girder (although now SnapStream supports the USB-UIRT directly).

I thought about going after the USB-UIRT directly myself, but that would only benefit me. If we go through Girder, it opens up the opportunity to support many other IR blasters and serial port controlled devices that are already written as plugins for girder. The downside, of course, is that Girder costs $20.

Tonight I was successful in teaching Girder how to communicate through the USB-UIRT with my Sony receiver here in my office. I was also able to write a quick little application in C# to turn the receiver on and off and even change channels. It was surprisingly easy once I understood how it all fits together.

If we do actually bring this interface to MediaPortal, we will want to get an official unique Girder plugin number:

http://www.girder.nl/developer.php

SSGirderTuner, for example, is plugin #74.

I could whip up the code for the external link with Girder in about 10 minutes. But the problem I have is how to integrate it with MediaPortal and the way they do their tuners. As I've said before, I'd really like the help of one of the devs that's familliar with the code. But if they aren't interested and someone else has looked at it and is comfortable working with me to get it in, then drop me a line.

Regards,

eXe

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    having a dev conversation via email or a forum is not really handy.
    If you come on IRC on monday #mediaportal on EFNET then you can meet up with Frodo and discuss this.

A

Anonymous

Fair enough, I'll try to make it. I just didn't know what the procedure was.

Can you give me an idea of what time and timezone to be there?

A

Anonymous

eXentric,

Sorry I have been away a few days.

I will take a look at the girder program to see how it works.

I thought the the girder was for remote controls only.

I glad to see you have something going with it.

I would like to get a copy of the c# prog you wrote and try it.

Maybe I will see you in the chatroom. I am on eastern time (US) .
    When I am in the chatroom, it is usually 12 to 5 pm est but I could be flexible

A

Anonymous

No problem about the reply. I have been extremely busy myself.

I'm not usually on IRC. I tried to make the last chat, but I never got a time to be there. I PMd you with my IM information. You can IM me whenever you feel like it.

Unfortunately, I'm just really busy lately with the job, and will continue to be busy until the end of July. Otherwise I don't get my big deadline bonus.

I can send you the code. It's really very simple. The confusing part is understanding how Girder receives 'inputs' and converts them to 'outputs'. I can explain it to you over IM, and if necessisary I can throw a How-To together.

This page explains using Girder from SnapStream to change channels on a Motorolla DCT2000 cable box using the serial cable:

http://www.ubiqsoft.com/snapstream/snapstreamAndDct2000.htm

Nearly the same steps are used to talk to the USBUIRT on USB rather then the cable box directly connected via serial. Girder allows you to select an event and cause an action to occur. Like a certain keyboard hotkey combination can cause your USBUIRT to toggle the power on your receiver via infrared. All we have to do is make our own 'special' events that you can subscribe to in Girder. Rather then a keyboard hotkey, we make Media Portal send a special event to Girder when the channel needs to change. Then, in Girder, whenever that "MediaPortal channel change" event occurs you do whatever you want. You could have Girder turn the lights on and off, but most likely you'll probably have it change channels via USBUIRT, serial, etc :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom