Failed to startup TVservice after renaming my PC system name (1 Viewer)

RobAtBentley

Portal Pro
July 31, 2013
Suffolk
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I've just renamed my PC system name and now MP TV Service config doesn't work. I get error (as per attached file)
Failed to startup tvserviceSystem.NullReferenceExceptions: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
. ...and can't get the TV Service to fire-up. Had a look through some old (some very old) solutions but seem to need a fair amount of expertise in modifying SQL databases. Are there any simpler fixes around or do I have to re-install (oh please no!) MP.

I need help fairly urgently as I'll be in big trouble (with the rest of the family) if I don't get any TV up and running for tonights Christmas viewing. Thanks...

Attachments

• nullreference error.jpg
    nullreference error.jpg
    71.9 KB

RobAtBentley

Portal Pro
July 31, 2013
Suffolk
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Fixed it! The manual SQL in previous solutions is what frightened the pants off me. Thanks to those wonderful people at Apache and use of XAMPPs (as I was using it's SQL server) phpmyAdmin tool which makes implementing these changes a walk in the park. Don't have to be an expert in SQL queries with phpmyadmin. Phew!!! So as per previous helpful posts (in this context), it's a case of renaming instances where the old PC system name needs updating to the new one. In this case it's in the mptvdb database and in the server table

CountZer0

Portal Pro
March 16, 2008
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I've just renamed my PC system name and now MP TV Service config doesn't work. I get error (as per attached file)
Failed to startup tvserviceSystem.NullReferenceExceptions: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
. ...and can't get the TV Service to fire-up. Had a look through some old (some very old) solutions but seem to need a fair amount of expertise in modifying SQL databases. Are there any simpler fixes around or do I have to re-install (oh please no!) MP.

I need help fairly urgently as I'll be in big trouble (with the rest of the family) if I don't get any TV up and running for tonights Christmas viewing. Thanks...

Got the same problem after a restart of the htpc. Can u guide me in the right direction?

Kind regards
Håkan

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It is strongly recommended to use a fixed/static IP address for PCs that are used as servers. That way you shouldn't run into this problem unless you specifically decide to change the PC's name or IP address.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/

Options, from easiest to hardest/least-desirable:

1. Change the PC's IP address and/or name back to what it was previously.
    If you have to ask how to do this then it probably means you didn't intentionally change the PC's IP address and/or name. Therefore the PC's IP address probably changed because you were relying on your router's DHCP to give the PC a [random] IP address automatically, rather than using a fixed/static IP address as recommended. That's not a good thing because this problem will just keep happening until you configure the PC with fixed/static IP address.

2. Edit the contents of the TV Server database Server table and gentle.config file to match the PC's new IP address or host name.
    If you have to ask how to do this then my advice would be to go with option 1. It would take a couple of hours to supply step by step instructions explaining exactly how to do this, and I'd prefer not to do that unless absolutely necessary.

3. Uninstall and reinstall TV Server.
    This should be a last resort, because when you uninstall you must remove the TV Server database. That means all TV Server settings, channels, schedules etc. will be lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom