Feature request: Adjust sortby, but not title from rename database (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Feature Request:

Currently have the option

Rename Titles so that series are grouped together:
    Off = Use title as-is
    On = Rename titles so that series will group together

------------------------------------------------

Can we change this to

Group movies so that series are grouped together:
    Off = Movies in a series are not grouped and are just displayed in alphabetical order mixed with other movies.
    On = The Sort As field is altered so that movies are listed together

For example "Attack of the Clones" (2nd movie in star wars) will be displayed after "The Phantom Menace" (1st movie) and before "Revenge of the Sith"

eg.
    The Phantom Menace
    Attack of The Clones
    Revenge of the Sith

ie. This only changes the sort order, but leaves the name intact

Rename grouped movies titles with a series prefix:
    Off = Use title as-is
    On = Rename titles with series prefix

For example "Attack of The Clones" will be renamed to "Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones"

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Can we change this to.....

ie. This only changes the sort order, but leaves the name intact

That would require a large change to the way IMDb+ currently works. A lot of the sort order is based on the actual title rename and only on a few movies is this overruled because for example Roman Numeral ordering messes up after VIII (8), because IX (9) would sort before V (5).

And I've personally found it very confusing to see a list sorted alphabetically but have non article removal titles appear totally out of place without grouping.

'S' title movies
    Star Wars Series
    - The Phantom Menace
    - Attack of The Clones
    - Revenge of the Sith
    'S' title movies

The above I would be totally fine with, but that requires a change to MovingPictures itself, and that is an open issue for such a long time that it eventually pushed me to do the title rename with IMDb+ as a workaround.

But just like how I ended up splitting the Foreign title more within the database, I have always had a desire to rewrite the entire logic on how it works. The existing thing is more like a frankenstein contraption with new additions ductaped onto the existing system. But it works and I just have not had the time to have a close look at a full rewrite and everything does work rather stable right now. Other features are a little bit higher on my ToDo list right now, such as adding in ability for non-English users to have their localized language rename database system working as well. Since that ties into the same title rename method it work out towards the same result, but can not say that for sure yet.

Right now you have the custom rename database at your disposal, so you can have it exactly the way you want it. But I'll keep your suggestion active via the issue at google code site that you created. Just no idea when I'll get to it.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    you are right that it might be confusing until moving pics has proper grouping support where it can place a series name above the movies series titles, instead of having the group name prefixed to the title. i'm hoping we will get something like this in the future. animated gif

asnimation.gif

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Yes, that has been the alike suggestion at the MovPic google code issue as well regarding this enhancement request.

At least the waiting period till it gets integrated is easier to bridge with the way IMDb+ does it right now. At least the titles are grouped together and you don't have to browse a giant list to find the next/previous movie in a series. I also use it myself as an indication that I have all the movies in a series and plan to expand the IMDb+ plugin even further in that regards. Since the default rename database info is available, I want to offer the option for a user to scan their collection for missing ones so they possibly get some ideas on what movie(s) to obtain.

That requires more C# knowledge then I currently have, so it is a slow process. Haven't been able to spend as much time on IMDb+ as I would like, but I'm trying to remedy that as well.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    yup grouping & trailers i think are the most important features on mov pics waiting list :D

Yeah, if you sort the MovPic issue list on 'stars' you get:

http://code.google.com/p/moving-pic...Status+Priority+Stars+Milestone+Owner+Summary
    1. #26 - Add Trailer Support - Online support is added via OnlineVideos plugin, local support is still waiting, though you can abuse the system via moviegrouping and prefix or postfix a trailer in the media files linked to the movie
    2. #212 - Support downloading and selection of multiple backdrops - (open)
    3. #229 - Allow grouping of movies in the movie list - IMDb+ workaround that is not ideal but it works for now
    4. #83 - Support close match resolution in MediaPortal GUI - (open), but I did make IMDb+ be as resourceful as possible to find a match and if some precaution is taken before importing such as supplying IMDb tt-ID via filename or NFO then it is never an issue.
    5. #23 - Centralized Database / Multi-Seat Support - (open)
    6. #121 - write NFO files that help with future rescans - (open), but I think it can be closed and allow MovPicNFO tool to grow into a plugin that will do it externally. https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/movpicnfo-v-1-0-1-1.108725/
    7. #319 - Ability for configuration options in a scraper script - IMDb+ plugin does that for IMDb+ scraper-script now, but it would be nice if other scraper-scripts can also benefit without each of them having to write a seperate plugin
    8. #97 - Support auto-downloading of subtitles - I think SubCentral should do this (if it does not already)
    9. #241 - Automatic Download and Update of Data Source Scripts - IMDb+ plugin does that for IMDb+ scraper-script now, but it would be nice if other scraper-scripts can also benefit without each of them having to write a seperate plugin
    10. #322 - Support Bonus Material / Alternate Versions - IMDb+ workaround via the special edition system and custom tagging support, so you can seperate your Director's Cut, Extended, different language versions from eachoter by adjusting title to show a (...) or [...] postfix.
    11. #547 - Get Language from Audio Tracks MediaInfo - (open)
    12. #139 - Allow auto selection of alternate titles (localized, custom .. ) - (open)
    13. #570 - Scraper Request: Rotten Tomatoes (primarily for ratings) - IMDb+
    14. #268 - Incorrect Cover-art with two different movies with same name - IMDb+ workaround, because I've added all the movies who share a title in the rename database, you end up with "Title" and "Title (original)" or "Title (remake)" which makes MovPic use unique artwork for both movies and not share the artwork on the first movie that got imported with that title.
    So not bad for the "little scraper that could" :D

And to think it all started out as a way to obtain RottenTomatoes ratings. Of course I hope that eventually all of this makes it into MovPic and that I can adapt IMDb+ scraper to use those methods and become just useful for the RT ratings, but until then I'll keep plugin'g along (pun intended) :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom