ffdshow stutters/stalls only on DVDs (1 Viewer)

LitmusDragon

Portal Member
December 5, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.x
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: Win7
CPU Type: Core i3 2100
HDD: 2TB
Memory: 4GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Video Card: Onboard
Video Card Driver: n/a
Sound Card: n/a
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card:
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow
MPEG2 Audio Codec: Microsoft DTV-DVD
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow DXVA
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV: Panasonic 60ST30
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI + Optical

Greetings, I have everything working on my PC as I like except that playback of DVD ISO stutters terribly when there's a lot of action on-screen.

From ffdshow I am using "Resize" to "PC resolution" and I am using Post-processing with the default settings. It looks GREAT on some DVD movies, others (especially where a lot of movement is involved) it stutters and eventually stalls completely.

The odd thing is even if I disable all of these filters it still stutters when using ffdshow for playback. If I select MPC or Microsoft DTV-DVD it plays better, but looks awful. I tried enabling ffdshow as a post-processing filter but that did little to nothing compared to using it as the player.

One weird thing I've noticed is that I am able to select ffdshow DXVA for h264 video but NOT for DVD so I assume I am not getting the benefit of HW acceleration. Any idea why I can't select the DXVA version of ffdshow as my DVD codec? Is it not possible?

edit:
Uh, as usual I found a solution by pressing random buttons. I uninstalled ffdshow and re-installed it, this time making sure I had selected to decode MPEG2 during the install. Now the ISOs play flawlessly with the upscaling.

edit2:
I spoke too soon ... problem is better now, but on certain DVD-5 ISO files/directories ffdshow just CHOKES. This seems to be limited to certain older DVD-Rs I have (may be a problem with DVD-Shrink which I was using at that time) so I believe it's a rip issue. However I can play these ISO back fine in VLC Player (albeit at lousy quality). I think I'm going to try alternate DVD playing Codecs later when I get home from work.

Anyone know why I can't select ffdshow DXVA for Dvds? Not that this would solve the issue necessarily, but I would like to try it.

edit3:
Look like SAF may be the answer I'm looking for as it says it supports DXVA for Mpeg-2 which I think is my whole problem. Link Will try it when I get home.

edit4(final update):
After testing nearly 50 DVD-ISOs I have only seen this problem on two of them, so I have concluded it was a rip problem of some sort, not a codec problem at all. I did download and try SAF but I didn't like it's DVD upscaling so I reverted back to a vanilla MPC-HC, Haali, and FFD-Show install (in that order) using "Spline" resize to screen resolution and the "Post-processing" filter at it's default settings. Issue is resolved, was a bad rip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom